Best regular Dreamcast console version? (CD-R Use)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nnorton44
Doom

Best regular Dreamcast console version? (CD-R Use)

Post#1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am

I am looking to add a DC to my living room and I am wondering what the best regular Dreamcast models are for playing emulators/games from a CD-R. I have read some DC do not read CD-R so well. The store has a few systems and I want to choose the most compatible one.
Last edited by nnorton44 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Best regular Dreamcast console version? (Emulator CD-R U

Post#2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:22 pm

They'll all work fine as long as you don't get the Revision 2 (circle with 2 on the back of it, and some people claim that certain variations of the 2 can play CD-Rs, just in case avoid 2's though). Anyways, emulation kind of sucks on the DC and is extremely easy and convenient on the PC and even a lot of cell phones if you don't mind shit controls and basically being limited to RPG's.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Good advice there BrianC. I actually have 2 model (2) DC units and one play backups fine while the other refuses to read any mil-cd of any kind. Addtionally, model (2) DC's have a unique GD rom drive that appears to be incompatible with model (0) & (1) untis which are built with a daughterboard. The latter consoles have GD rom drives that can be interchanged.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

nnorton44
Doom

Post#4 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Okay Ill make sure I do not get model (2).

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Best regular Dreamcast console version? (CD-R Use)

Post#5 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Good call! Another major way of knowing its a model (2) console aside from the looking at the manufacturing sticker is by the weight of the unit. Due to the lack of a daughterboard, it's very light.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

nnorton44
Doom

Re: Best regular Dreamcast console version? (CD-R Use)

Post#6 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Okay so one more question for you guys....are all the system cases the same? Say my black console dies, rather then finding another one could I get a cheap (0) or (1) white console and dump its guts into the black case?

Oh yeah also whats up with the daughterboard? Why was it dropped from the system? My guess would be they shrunk the mfg process and integrated it elsewhere. Just want to educate myself more on DC hardware... :mrgreen: