VGA- HDMI converter

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

VGA- HDMI converter

Post#1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am

Hi guys!

I have some problem with my VGA-HDMI converter!

I received it in the mail today:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4058352027

Scenarios:

PC - VGA/HDMI converter- TV = Works
Dreamcast-----VGA adapter-----TV= Works
Dreamcast-----VGA adapter-----VGA/HDMI converter-----TV= Dont work

There is no ways to adjust anything on the converter, nor on my Panasonic Viera
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/2-12107 ... oduct-Info

I would be very gratefull if someone have som tips for me!
:)
PSO Dreamcast: Felix (FOnewearl Lv 115)

Dreamcast Pal (bought brand new last year), BBA, VGA adapter with HDMI converter (720p), Sd card with 32 gb memory and retail PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2
-Does it get any better for a Dreamcaster:D?

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Re: VGA- HDMI converter

Post#2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I cant view anything with the ebay link.

But it can be the way the VGA box is talking to the converter and not understanding the signal. or its the TV itself on not understanding the signal from the converter box. Its really hard to tell whats going on.

Seeing how the converter works on the TV with a PC but not with the DC with VGA box, i could go as far to say that its the converter box not understanding the signal from the VGA box, but thats just a stab. doing this has been known to be problematic with different combinations of brands. what connection methods to the tv from the converter box have yoy tried ? Have you tried connecting it to the tv by component instead of HDMI ? is there any auto signal setting on the TV or advance options to detect a incoming signal ?. It sucks that the converter box has no output settings, That could very well be why your having issues.

This is somewhat trial and error, the best bet is by looking for guids and seeing what they use to get a better chance of it working.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm

There is absolutely no point in putting the signal through the converter anyway ;)

Going from the Dreamcast/VGA box into the pc/vga input of your tv will give you the best and purest picture without any unnecessary processing.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:11 pm

^ Couldn't have said it better myself!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#5 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Neohound wrote:There is absolutely no point in putting the signal through the converter anyway ;)

Going from the Dreamcast/VGA box into the pc/vga input of your tv will give you the best and purest picture without any unnecessary processing.

Not when you own a HDTV without VGA input. not all HDTVs have VGA input. There are two in my house that do not have VGA in (and they are around 6 months to a year old), and its cheaper buying a converter then finding and buying a HDTV set with VGA in.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Well that's true, in those circumstances you have to find a workaround. But in this case Scandinavian's tv has got a vga input as his post shows ! :)

Most tvs sold in Europe do have a pc input btw though I realise that's not the case around the world.

In my case I send the DC's vga signal straight to my projector and for non-vga compatible games I send the S-video signal from the vga box to an AV amplifier which converts the analogue signal into a digital one and sends it through the HDMI output. It's quite a convenient system and works pretty well. Amps with this facility are available from around the £350 mark.

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:23 pm

madmax2069 wrote:Not when you own a HDTV without VGA input. not all HDTVs have VGA input. There are two in my house that do not have VGA in (and they are around 6 months to a year old), and its cheaper buying a converter then finding and buying a HDTV set with VGA in.

The best conversion in that scenario is VGA to Component YPbPr using a converter box since it would preserve the quality better than an active analog to digital encoder being that it is still analog and is simply RGB to YPbPr conversion.
Regards,
brourke228

madmax2069
drunken sailor

Post#8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 am

brourke228 wrote:
madmax2069 wrote:Not when you own a HDTV without VGA input. not all HDTVs have VGA input. There are two in my house that do not have VGA in (and they are around 6 months to a year old), and its cheaper buying a converter then finding and buying a HDTV set with VGA in.

The best conversion in that scenario is VGA to Component YPbPr using a converter box since it would preserve the quality better than an active analog to digital encoder being that it is still analog and is simply RGB to YPbPr conversion.

I just use a 20+ inch PC monitor with my VGA box, takes up a little more room but it works for what i want to use it for, granted it would be nice on a 30+ inch HDTV but i am in no hurry to put it on my big screen.

Scandinavian
Graffiti Grind

Post#9 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks for all the answers guys:)
The inspiration I got from this project was from Mr. Koralik who converted Vga-to component!
I didnt think it would make much of a difference if I used a HDMI converter or a Component!
After Ive asked around on different forums, people say that the 480p analog signal would not be scaled uo, but converted to digital 480p anyway!
I guess I have to buy a VGA-Component converter instead and then adjust it to 720 like koralik did!
I allso figure out that the Panasonic tvs have alot of issues, that might be why others have sucsessfully converted VGA-HDMI with other TVs!

Are there anyone here who has sucsessfully converted VGA-Component on a Panasonic here before? With the Dreamcsast offcourse.

Maybe this link works better?
http://www.ebay.ch/itm/VGA-HDMI-Konvert ... 2827wt_907
PSO Dreamcast: Felix (FOnewearl Lv 115)

Dreamcast Pal (bought brand new last year), BBA, VGA adapter with HDMI converter (720p), Sd card with 32 gb memory and retail PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2
-Does it get any better for a Dreamcaster:D?

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#10 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

It is odd that your tv doesn't work properly Dreamcast signal converted to hdmi. It should still work, I was just saying you'd be better off with a vga to component converter. Have you tried this with any other displays?
Regards,
brourke228