[solved] Where in my Dreamcast does this come from?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

miwuc
shadow

[solved] Where in my Dreamcast does this come from?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi,
Today I decided that I would finally "unyellow" my dreamcast, something I had meant to do for a long time. So I removed the top case by removing the four screws on the bottom, then I used the magical gel on the top case, and finally I put it back together. I plugged the Dreamcast in and it seems to work fine. But then I found this lying on the floor:

I strongly suspect it comes from my Dreamcast... but where? I've tried looking at pictures on the Internet but I can't seem to figure out where it came from, and pictures of the inner side of the top case are are particularly hard to find.
Any idea what it is/where it might come from?
Thanks!

Edit: fixed the image
Last edited by miwuc on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Where in my Dreamcast does this come from?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

image failed

miwuc
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:52 am

Are you saying you can't see the image ? Because I can... I attached it to this post just in case.

Edit: Nevermind, the image was indeed broken. Just fixed it.
Attachments
dremcast_bit.jpeg

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#4 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm

I can see why you made the topic, i don't know either, seriously, i'm looking inside and i don't see that part anywhere.
Are you sure it's from your dreamcast?

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

i have taken many Dreamcast apart and i never seen one of those before. my guess is that it was not a part from the Dreamcast. if it indeed came from inside of your DC, then it must have slid inside of it from someone or something. i could be wrong, but that is my guess.

miwuc
shadow

Post#6 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:23 am

I can't be 100% sure that it's from the Dreamcast, but I did find it on the floor at the exact place where I opened the Dreamcast... But if you guys are sure it was not part of it, I'll take your word for it. The DC does seem to work fine without this thingy.
I hereby decree the problem solved. Thank you so much for your answers, I'll sleep better!

And if anyone's interested, the unyellowing magic gel worked beautifully.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: [solved] Where in my Dreamcast does this come from?

Post#7 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 am

It may have helped if we knew what region DC you took apart (PAL, US, JPN) and more importantly what model DC (0,1, or 2)... but if it works then it works lol!

And if anyone's interested, the unyellowing magic gel worked beautifully.

Can we see a pic of your efforts? :)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

miwuc
shadow

Post#8 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 pm

CD AGES wrote:Can we see a pic of your efforts? :)

Sure! Actually I only thought of taking a picture after starting the process, and of course the lighting conditions are different, but I think you can tell the difference. Especially with the contrast on the third picture.
It's not 100% back to its original color but almost. I would have let the gel act a little longer, but I ran out of sunlight...

Back to the original topic, I'm pretty convinced now that the thing didn't come from the dreamcast. I hope I didn't waste too much of your time, and thanks again!
Attachments
P1010022.JPG
Yellow dreamcast
P1010023.JPG
After about 1 hour
P1010046.JPG
After the treatment. You can see the contrast between the top case, and parts that didn't get the treatment.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#9 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:19 pm

What is that mixture, how you make it?

miwuc
shadow

Post#10 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

So it's called retr0bright, you can find all the info you need on that website.
Basically hydrogen peroxide + sunlight (or an uv lamp) will unyellow plastic. The reaction is pretty slow however, but you can boost it by adding a pinch of "oxy" laundry booster. Hydrogen peroxide being a liquid, the mixture isn't very convenient to use, so you turn it into a gel by adding any gelling agent (they use xanthan gum, I used agar-agar which is what I could find, but you have to heat it).
Then the glycerin is so that it won't dry too quickly.
Overall it's pretty easy to do. You just have to find all the ingredients, and wait for sunlight.