MadCatz controller not working

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

futurer0ckstar
shadow

MadCatz controller not working

Post#1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

So, last night, my brother and I wanted to play some SoulCalibur. But when I plugged the controller in (to the second port), it didn't work. We tried some other games and it still didn't work. Finally, I plugged the controller into the first port to see if it was simply the board malfunctioning...but nope. The controller still wouldn't work in the first port, whereas my Sega brand controller still does.

I mean, I know I can just go buy a superior Sega controller on Amazon for cheap, but I just wanted to ask...is there any way I could fix this myself without too much trouble?
"...Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

duke2k7
shadow

Re: MadCatz controller not working

Post#2 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:56 am

the only thing i can think of is perhaps the matcatz controller is affecting the pico fuse next to the rechargeable battery on the port control board...

i believe its a 0.5 mA pico fuse, but it looks like a resistor, but its deffo a fuse.

might be worth changing, itmight be working sporadically.

sorry bud, thats my only idea...
Astral Entertainment:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Being the other controller still works, it's not the fuse so I think it's dead. My MadCatz does not work either. I am gonna buy a new 6-button controller this time (not Innovative brand).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Dingo
dark night

Post#4 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Try cleaning the contacts? Most of the time my controller issues have been caused by improper connection at the plug. Usually just dirty, but some times a little bending helps.

I don't think it's common for the electronics in a controller to just 'fail', but it is certainly possible. Any noticeable issues with the wire? Kinked? Frayed?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#5 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll give it a go.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

futurer0ckstar
shadow

Post#6 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 pm

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the wires, but I can't believe I didn't check the contacts. Duh. xD

I'm at a friend's house now (too bad we can't play multiplayer DC), but I'll definitely try cleaning the contacts when I get back home.
"...Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." ~ Thomas Jefferson

futurer0ckstar
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

There was nothing visibly wrong with the contacts, but I cleaned them anyway and it works! Thanks (gosh, I can't believe I didn't think of that).