Is my DC dying?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

NoiseDemon
shadow

Is my DC dying?

Post#1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 pm

While playing pso using gdemu The sound started to glitch and then pso crashed . I restarted The console to realized that The sound in dreamcast menu is strange. I started gdemu again and i had only 1 game on there . Took sd to pc and everything was fine on there do i started to wonder if my dreamcast is dying or is IT The gdemu that its starting to go to The other side?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Is my DC dying?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 pm

NoiseDemon wrote:While playing pso using gdemu The sound started to glitch and then pso crashed . I restarted The console to realized that The sound in dreamcast menu is strange. I started gdemu again and i had only 1 game on there . Took sd to pc and everything was fine on there do i started to wonder if my dreamcast is dying or is IT The gdemu that its starting to go to The other side?

If it's a clone gdemu I'd say it's the gdemu failing. Otherwise you may need to replace your Dreamcast capacitors.

NoiseDemon
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:19 pm

I experimented with it and now i think maybe its overheating because it all happens after around 30 min of gameplay with DC put together. When its working without The top of The Shell its fine . I checked The psu and its hot . My dreamcast is a pal model (idk if that info is important).

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 pm

NoiseDemon wrote:I experimented with it and now i think maybe its overheating because it all happens after around 30 min of gameplay with DC put together. When its working without The top of The Shell its fine . I checked The psu and its hot . My dreamcast is a pal model (idk if that info is important).

Not sure if this fix works with pal consoles, but you may need to add resistor on one of the 12v rails

https://youtu.be/MVKN3pQ11wM?si=kSInAlMrEoYbXk0c

NoiseDemon
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 pm

Ok,so i turned on my DC today and right away IT started to have problems so its not the problem of overheating. Also i observed The Red LED on gdemu blinking in The exact moments The music is distorted .I turned IT off, removed sd and turned The system on again and The same thing happened. I'll test gdemu on another dreamcast to see if IT will have The same problems to check if this is some gdemu problem .If not then i font knows what to do.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:19 pm

this is a power supply problem, clean the pin connection of the power supply

NoiseDemon
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:19 pm

I'll give It a shot once i'll get back home.

NoiseDemon
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 am

Looks like for now its fine. Pins were darkened a little in some spots so i git rod of that. I'll do some more tests but thank you all for your support.

NoiseDemon
shadow

Post#9 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:03 pm

This worked ,thank you all for your help.