Controller ports 2 and 3 not working (I’ve already replaced the fuse, capacitor, battery, and resistor)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

heartseeker
noob

Controller ports 2 and 3 not working (I’ve already replaced the fuse, capacitor, battery, and resistor)

Post#1 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:30 pm

First time posting.

I’ve recently gotten a Dreamcast and sadly the 2nd and 3rd controller ports are out of commission. I’ve seen in a great number of places online that this is typically due to a blown fuse on the sub bd 2. I’ve replaced all of the components that are typically recommended and I’ve noticed no change. 2 and 3 still don’t work. Does anyone have any additional ideas? Pretty devastated I can’t play 2 player games due to most multiplayer games requiring port 2 and don’t accept port 4.

In addition, since taking the photos attached,I've tried bending the pins upwards a bit to ensure contact to the controller. Still no dice.
Attachments
p0a3c26mliac1.jpg
og10656mliac1.jpg
xczy726mliac1.jpg
l8cjm26mliac1.jpg

polly_85
noob

Re: Controller ports 2 and 3 not working (I’ve already replaced the fuse, capacitor, battery, and resistor)

Post#2 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:55 am

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Dreamcast did all the fixes you describe and even bent pins in the ports. What fixed my issue is that I had to reflow the contacts on the ports on the bottom of the board and all the ports started working again.

nextlie
rebel

Re: Controller ports 2 and 3 not working (I’ve already replaced the fuse, capacitor, battery, and resistor)

Post#3 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:22 am

powergames
noob

Post#4 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:06 pm

Same problem same fix, reflow all the soldering contacts on the bottom of the PCB.
Last edited by powergames on Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:35 pm

Had this just replaced the whole board easy fix many cheap dc's with no reading drives to take working boards out of..

AdamL
rebel

Post#6 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:35 pm

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the controller ports with 99% alcohol/electrical contact cleaner? This is usually the fix for me when I come across non-working cartridge games/systems and controllers.

If that doesn't work, then I'd take a look at the board for continuity and try reflowing the solder.