GDEMU: SD Card Sizes, Max # of Games, Performance, Freezing.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Beefalo
lithium

GDEMU: SD Card Sizes, Max # of Games, Performance, Freezing.

Post by Beefalo »

Hey guys,

As you can see I've got a nice group of SD cards depending on my Dreamcast needs for the day (well it used to look nice, thermal prints don't last forever). Most cards are just 64gb (Neo Geo, Widescreen, Racing, Online) and usually work fine, but then I've got my main card which is 256gb.

My card's quite massive. Here's a list of what's on it. Honestly, I could trim a lot of fat and remove a lot of this stuff. Mainly I'd just enjoy the convenience of having all the DC games & Atomiswave conversions on 1 card.

I use the regular ol' GDMenu.

Other info:
  • I use a small CDI file as a line break to break up the list for organization. I think originally it was a Gameshark CD loader? I tried just making a dummy file with a .cdi extension but that didn't work.
  • I also like to include a few tools on every card at the end for convenience. Things like VMU Backup CD & VMU Dream Explorer are a must! Here's a download link to those.

Now here's the problem: while scrolling through games, far too often it'll freeze up on me and I'll have to physically power off/on. I think the hang-up is that it gets stuck while loading the cover art, because any time it freezes the art for that game has yet to load.

Questions:
  • Any tips to avoid it freezing like that? Is there perhaps a newer/different version of GDMenu that solves that problem?
  • If not, should I give OpenMenu a try? Are there any other GDEMU menus?
  • What have your experiences been using larger SD cards / large amounts of games?