Question about Rechargeable battery holder

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

EskiM0JOJ0
shadow

Question about Rechargeable battery holder

Post#1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:46 pm

I recently soldered in a vertical battery holder https://console5.com/store/vertical-holder-for-2032-batteries.html.
Currently using a CR2032 standard battery. I didn't realize it was intended specifically for rechargeable ML2032 batteries, specifically Maxell 3V type. Other than not lasting as long, should be fine, right? Don't want to damage motherboard or console

Spleet
minority

Re: Question about Rechargeable battery holder

Post#2 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:04 am

It will not recharge, and thus, constantly drain until it is dead. Probably a few weeks at most. Otherwise it won't effect anything. It's there to complete the circuit. It's only important if you're anal about your DC keeping time. And by avoiding setting the clock on startup every time.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Re: Question about Rechargeable battery holder

Post#3 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:10 pm

I would not install a non rechargeable battery where there is current going into it while the console is powered on. You'll slowly "fry" it and it won't last as long as a 2032 normally would..even if it works for a while. There is a mod that bypasses the charging part so you can install a normal 2032 but I don't see why you'd want to as there is no benefit and the rechargeable ones are readily available on Amazon or Ebay. If you play your console on any sort of regular basis, even once a month, you won't have to replace the battery or adjust your clock settings for years (with the exception of DST lol).. that's why they engineered it to have a rechargeable battery in the first place.