Creating a multi-game CDI?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TheXboxArcade
shadow

Creating a multi-game CDI?

Post by TheXboxArcade »

So I've been looking into putting a couple of Sonic Adventure 2 prototypes on a single CD-R for my Dreamcast, and currently am using Ginsu from the SEGA Smash Pack prototype to make the CD. In the ginsu ini file, I have something like this (after the required ginsu stuff in the ini):

[THETRIAL]
Ginsu.Path = \THETRIAL
Ginsu.Command = \THETRIAL\1ST_READ.BIN
Manifest.Name = "SA2 The Trial"

I've noticed that on CDIs like DreamApp that all of the files that get loaded are in one .BIN file (like Utopia Boot Disc is in a file called UTOPIA1.BIN).

Thus my question is: do you have to put all the game files (for each game) into a .BIN file and call that in ginsu (and how would I do this if so?), or is just calling 1ST_READ.BIN is enough for the game to boot and run on real hardware? (Alternatively, if there's a better way to create multi-game CDs then using ginsu, please let me know.)

Thanks in advance!
cbnj
brutal

Re: Creating a multi-game CDI?

Post by cbnj »

If you will use xfer (ginsu app loader) just add more game configuarations to load the games in the .ini file

To keep each game in a separate folder:

[THETRIAL]
Ginsu.Path = \THETRIAL
Ginsu.Command = \THETRIAL\1ST_READ.BIN
Manifest.Name = "SA2 The Trial"

[THETRIAL123]
Ginsu.Path = \THETRIAL123
Ginsu.Command = \THETRIAL123\1ST_READ.BIN
Manifest.Name = "SA2 The Trial 123"

[SONICDEMO]
Ginsu.Path = \SONICDEMO
Ginsu.Command = \SONICDEMO\1ST_READ.BIN
Manifest.Name = "SONICDEMO"

Also respect any left over space in the ini between game configurations and at the end of the file (generally a single empty text line).

Ginsu can be the easiest best choice to load diferent games, is simple, require very little configuration, and dont have a bunch of extra required files to work allowing you to have a clean disc structure and more espace for game files.
Last edited by cbnj on Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Creating a multi-game CDI?

Post by SMiTH »

you can use dream passport, ODCM, dreamON, ginsu, Generator, DreamExpress, and dream inducer to make a multi game cdi. dorimaga might be possible as well. planetweb/dreamkey should work too.