Connect Dreamcast to CRT HDTV through VGA

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

StMagnabodus
noob

Connect Dreamcast to CRT HDTV through VGA

Post#1 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:55 pm

Hey all, I've run into a kindoff unique problem. I recently got myself a RCA f38310 CRT HDTV and planned on hooking my Dreamcast up to it. My Dreamcast is currently hooked up through to a Sharp 480i CRT through a SCART/VGA to component transcoder. When I use the same set up on my RCA it looks pretty much fine, but when I try to hook it up with my retrobit VGA cable it stretches it to a weird aspect ratio even though my tv is set to normal (4:3) and is the proper aspect ratio when running through SCART (both Dreamcast and Genesis). Is it a problem with how this specific transcoder processes VGA? What would be a good way to get a 4:3 aspect ratio with a 480p resolution? The image looks much better with 480p and I'm able to use light guns in that resolution (I tried using them in 480i and they would work)
IMG_20230813_153905178.jpg
Vga

IMG_20230813_154638980.jpg
Vga

IMG_20230813_155923679.jpg
Scart

IMG_20230813_160215703.jpg
Scart

Snake79
lithium

Re: Connect Dreamcast to CRT HDTV through VGA

Post#2 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:59 pm

I'm not familiar with the equipment you are using. I take it are you connecting the retro-bit VGA cable through the transcoder into the tv. I suspect it is messing with the VGA signal. VGA 480p should display correctly in 4:3. Maybe look at using a different transcoder or a use a scaler to modify the aspect ratio. It could also be the VGA cable, are there alternatives you could use?

StMagnabodus
noob

Post#3 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:16 pm

VGA cable> transcoder> component. I don't really got any alternatives for 480p rn. I'll look into other transcoders; the one I have is pretty cheap. Any recommendations for a good component scaler if it comes to that?

Snake79
lithium

Post#4 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:15 pm

I can't recommend any component scalers I'm afraid.

I previously had a HDTV with component input but it also had scart and VGA inputs so I that's what I used with the Dreamcast. Those early HD CRT sets used component video before HDMI became the standard as they could accept a progressive scan signal.

I did eventually buy a scaler however it was VGA to HDMI which isn't going to help here.

Another possible option is to use a large CRT monitor with VGA input, bypassing the need for a transcoder altogether. I'm assuming you want to continue using CRT so you can use the lightgun.

StMagnabodus
noob

Post#5 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:04 pm

I do have a commuter monitor that's VGA, but it's giving me this weird vertical wave when the Dreamcast is hooked up to it. I also would like it to be on a bigger screen cuz I mostly use it for multi player
IMG_20230813_155201979.jpg
Can't really see it too well in photos

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:08 pm

what kind of scart are you using, composite or rgb? Coz that image looks really muddy, if you use rgb scart it should look good enough on a big crt
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Snake79
lithium

Post#7 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:13 am

StMagnabodus wrote:I do have a commuter monitor that's VGA, but it's giving me this weird vertical wave when the Dreamcast is hooked up to it. I also would like it to be on a bigger screen cuz I mostly use it for multi player
IMG_20230813_155201979.jpg

That is strange, a VGA image should not do that. Are you connecting the Dreamcast direct to the monitor via a VGA box and cable or using another method?

I think the transcoder is responsible for the issues you are having with the image on your tv. If it's a cheap box, the quality may not be very good. If VGA is the best analogue image, RGB scart is the next best and should look very good, it just won't be as sharp or have the vivid colour of VGA, but is noticeably better than s-video, composite and RF.

StMagnabodus
noob

Post#8 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:36 pm

I'm using some cheap Dreamcast SCART cable I got off Amazon right now. It actually looks great on my 480i CRT that's what my Dreamcast is currently hooked up to. Is it possibly to get a 480p signal out of SCART? I know they make some pretty fancy SCART Dreamcast cables now that has a switch to toggle the output. Maybe that'll be a good solution. I just ordered a different transcoder, so we'll see if that works first.

As for the computer monitor, it's pretty much directly connected to my Dreamcast. The monitor has a hard wired male cable to it so I have to use a gender changer to make it connect. I've used two different adapters but they both give me the same issue. It doesn't have that problem when I have my computer hooked up to it. It's honestly not that noticable when playing games, so I'll probably still use it if I need to transport my Dreamcast somewhere