DCHDMI/DCDigtal HW2 worth it?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Panja0
lithium

DCHDMI/DCDigtal HW2 worth it?

Post by Panja0 »

I just got back into DC gaming and using a Kaico HDMI converter.
But I'm thinking about going the extra mile and get a DCHDMI or DCDigtal HW2.

I would like to know is it really worth the money?
DCHDMI is around 200 euro (installed) and HW2 is even more...

Any thoughts about this?

amcpartymix
undertow

Re: DCHDMI/DCDigtal HW2 worth it?

Post by amcpartymix »

It's really up to you. If you're fine with how the Dreamcast looks with that HDMI converter, then don't bother spending the money. If you want the Dreamcast to look its absolute best, get HW2.

livingonwheels
lithium

Post by livingonwheels »

Does the DcDigital really output a better picture than a Dreamcast on an old school VGA monitor via the VGA box? I can't imagine it can, it always looks so perfect with that setup.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

livingonwheels wrote:Does the DcDigital really output a better picture than a Dreamcast on an old school VGA monitor via the VGA box? I can't imagine it can, it always looks so perfect with that setup.
Depends on your monitor, viewing on a pokey 15" CRT, then I doubt you'll notice the difference. On a 65" OLED, then the HDMI upgrade makes a BIG difference. Plus no TV nowadays has VGA anymore, so you will need some sort of converter.

HW2 only offers marginal benefits over the original so I don't see the point in upgrading if you already have one installed.

Panja0
lithium

Post by Panja0 »

I'm going to use the DC on a 55 inch TV and currectly I have an HDMI converter (Kaico) so no kit installed yet.

Thanks for the info!

Caspian
core
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Starlancer
PSO

Post by Caspian »

The HDMI converters will "just" transform the VGA signal to HDMI. For a modern TV an upscaler provides a noticeably better result in my opinion and the DCHDMI/DCDigital options come with this feature as a bonus.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Given the fact that almost all heavy-hitters on the DC that didn't natively support VGA have been patched, HW2's motion-adaptive deinterlacing is really only useful for a small list of games.

Check the list: https://consolemods.org/wiki/Dreamcast: ... nd_Patches

I upgraded two DCs from HW1 to HW2 upon release, but with the advent of these VGA patches, as well as the RetroTink 4K with direct HDMI input and its own superior motion-adaptive deinterlacing, HW2's benefits have waned.

If HW1 is cheaper and more affordable for you, you'll be very happy with it. I promise.

Just be sure not to make the mistake of many first-time DCDigital users:
-Ensure "Force VGA" is set and not "Cable Detect".
-Ensure your TV's sharpness and contrast settings aren't so high that they're interfering with the picture.

It'll be a night and day difference between any cheap HDMI cable, like the Kaico, and pure, true digital audio/video.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam