Dreamcast Controller Board Mod Questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

amcpartymix
undertow

Dreamcast Controller Board Mod Questions

Post#1 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:23 pm

Hey, guys. I'm looking to do some basic mods to my controller board. I plan on changing the controller board fuse to one that is self-resettable, swapping out the battery for a replaceable socket, and changing out the color of the power LED. Would someone be able to tell me if the parts in this listing are good to use? I don't know if there's preferred brands or anything for these parts and would hate to buy some cheap garbage that breaks on me later on down the line.

Here's the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254509051006?h ... BM0NXkkJ1i

I'm also curious about the LED. Is there LEDs you can buy that are the same as the stock power LED, just different color? I'd hate to buy one and it ends up being so bright that it can be viewed from space. I'd like to get a pure white (not warm) colored one but I have no idea where to start. pure white seems to be near impossible to find, oddly enough.

The same seller has LEDs for sale but I don't know what kind of white it is or how bright they are:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254981242244?_ ... %3A4429486

I'm in the market for buying the best of the best parts. I'm trying to avoid any "good enough" situations.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

OatBob
MegaDeath

Re: Dreamcast Controller Board Mod Questions

Post#2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:26 pm

1) Yes, that replacement parts kit is adequate. Tbh, the fuse and the battery are the only components I have encountered that fail. Of course, it's reasonable to replace the capacitor while you're there.

2) Electrical requirements on diodes is their voltage rating. The Dreamcast one is 3.3V. Note, when installing there is a positive and negative end, and the circuit will not work if reversed. Many loose LEDs will list brightness in lumens. To sample color/brightness, you can pinch a CR2032 battery (3V is close enough) between the legs.

For white, I installed these last year. The listing says "warm" but really, they are quite brilliant.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122100046749?var=421152878700
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

amcpartymix
undertow

Re: Dreamcast Controller Board Mod Questions

Post#3 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:14 am

Ohh, thank you for the tips.

Is it a requirement for the forward voltage to be 3.3? I’m confused because there’s some lights that even have a range like 3.0-3.4 and I don’t know if that means it will work with the Dreamcast or if I’m supposed to dial down the voltage somehow. Even the ones you’ve linked me don’t seem to be 3.3v but instead are 3.0-3.2v. Sorry, I’m a total noob when it comes to electrical know-how.

I think what I need is a 5000-5500K white light but I just can’t seem to find them with exactly 3.3v anywhere.