pop'n music 3/4 on gdemu

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

suntftl
shadow

Re: pop'n music 3/4 on gdemu

Post#11 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm

ateam wrote:
suntftl wrote:sorry for not replying sooner. i managed to get it to work - right after i select yes in the disc change menu in pop'n 2, i have to press the disc swap button on my gdemu once or twice (once for 3, twice for 4) as fast as i possibly can for it to consistently work. any later and it straight up doesn't work, no clue why. thank you for the help everyone!

You can also just use the patched GDIs I shared above so that you don't have to ever worry about disc-swapping again ;)

i'd love to but my gdemu has decided that it's had enough of working properly D:
right when i got everything to work and had an absolute blast playing pop'n 4 it just stopped functioning somehow. led goes absolutely nuts and the system plays every sound at a really creepy low pitch. this happened before with some sd card issue but now it's happening without an sd card in :( guess i just have super bad luck or something lol

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#12 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:05 pm

suntftl wrote:i'd love to but my gdemu has decided that it's had enough of working properly D:
right when i got everything to work and had an absolute blast playing pop'n 4 it just stopped functioning somehow. led goes absolutely nuts and the system plays every sound at a really creepy low pitch. this happened before with some sd card issue but now it's happening without an sd card in :( guess i just have super bad luck or something lol

Aw man, rough!

You may want to look at cleaning the PSU pins. Here's a video I found after a quick search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kNP27LZUU

This seems to help a lot of people with random GDEMU issues, though I must say I haven't ever needed to do it myself.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

suntftl
shadow

Post#13 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:09 pm

ateam wrote:
suntftl wrote:i'd love to but my gdemu has decided that it's had enough of working properly D:

Aw man, rough!

You may want to look at cleaning the PSU pins. Here's a video I found after a quick search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kNP27LZUU

This seems to help a lot of people with random GDEMU issues, though I must say I haven't ever needed to do it myself.

i'll definitely take a look, might ask a friend to help out because i'm super worried about somehow screwing up the whole thing haha

suntftl
shadow

Post#14 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:43 pm

holy shit wow it actually worked! i managed to pull it off without bricking my system. tysm for sending me that video!!

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#15 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:56 pm

suntftl wrote:holy shit wow it actually worked! i managed to pull it off without bricking my system. tysm for sending me that video!!

Haha, nice! Nothing to be intimidated about.

Enjoy.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

fraggle200
chill

Post#16 » Wed May 24, 2023 7:30 am

Having a look through the Scene releases dump I have, looks like there were RGB fixes for pop n music 1, 2 and 4 as well. not sure what happened to 3.

AtomicPotato
noob

Post#17 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:46 am

fraggle200 wrote:Having a look through the Scene releases dump I have, looks like there were RGB fixes for pop n music 1, 2 and 4 as well. not sure what happened to 3.

Hey I'm looking for RGB fixed version for these games, any ideas where I can find them?

fraggle200
chill

Post#18 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:41 am

AtomicPotato wrote:
fraggle200 wrote:Having a look through the Scene releases dump I have, looks like there were RGB fixes for pop n music 1, 2 and 4 as well. not sure what happened to 3.

Hey I'm looking for RGB fixed version for these games, any ideas where I can find them?

yip, all in here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15107

or even in here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13148 can't rem if Echelon done the RGB hacks or not.. but have a feeling they did at least a couple.

AtomicPotato
noob

Post#19 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 am

fraggle200 wrote:
AtomicPotato wrote:

yip, all in here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15107

or even in here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13148 can't rem if Echelon done the RGB hacks or not.. but have a feeling they did at least a couple.

Thank you so much for responding. I find myself a little confused about this whole process of applying the patch. It seems that the tool used to apply the patch is expecting a .CUE file of the game, but the GDI doesn't contain that. I don't suppose you know what is going on here?

fraggle200
chill

Post#20 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:38 am

you don't patch the GDI as these aren't meant for that.

If these were for BIN/CUE then they're pre self-boot rips.
you'd need to get the version of the game they're trying to patch. It'll likely be in either of these links as well.
patch it.
then make it a selfboot *.cdi to either burn it or run it on a gdemu etc.

Alternatively:
you could find out what hex values have been changed in the patches and apply the same hex change to the same files but ripped from the GDI.
then rebuild the GDI and hope it works.

Admittedly option 2 is a lot more involved.