Ascii Pad FT - broken rumble

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

bobrocks95
noob

Ascii Pad FT - broken rumble

Post#1 » Sun May 14, 2023 2:25 am

Does anybody have one of these and know anything about the rumble circuitry? I would doubt the motor itself is completely dead, it seems more likely that a component has failed and it's just not getting any voltage. The diode D1 (brown, middle of pic) seems to measure 4700 ohms or so in both directions which doesn't seem right to me but I'm no EE.

Any advice? The two wires from the motor seem to go directly to pins on IC2.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Re: Ascii Pad FT - broken rumble

Post#2 » Sun May 14, 2023 6:27 am

The rumble motor on my ASCII pad also failed before I got it, and I couldn't spot anything wrong in the circuitry. I'd imagine they just have motors that are prone to failure. Not much of an issue for me, as I mostly use mine for Gens4All.

bobrocks95
noob

Re: Ascii Pad FT - broken rumble

Post#3 » Sun May 14, 2023 8:11 pm

Any way to test it? I'd guess I'd need to get the glue off, desolder it, and somehow hook it up to some other circuit? I don't know if a rumble motor is just voltage on one of the pins and ground on the other or what (can't find the datasheet for that IC it's connected to).

Oh I also figured maybe it could have been damaged from plugging it in while the Dreamcast was on, given that fuse that can blow on the console from doing so.