D-Pad autofiring

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

thalespetacular
noob

D-Pad autofiring

Post#1 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Hello guys, how you're doing? I wonder if you can help me with that issue:

This week I have been surprised for the very same problem with both of my Dreamcast controllers: The D-Pad is autofiring - one for the right, the other one the up button.

I used an adapter to test the controllers on PC and confirmed that is not the console. Also, I could see that there's no problem with the analog stick at all. Is just those specific buttons.

My guess: Some kind of oxidation state, but it's just a hint.
Do you guys know how can I solve this problem?
Thank you very much for the attention.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: D-Pad autofiring

Post#2 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:09 pm

Those buttons are probably not making the best contact anymore. First suggestion would be to take apart the controller and clean the contact points both on the PCB and the rubber membranes with some rubbing alcohol or something similar.

thalespetacular
noob

Re: D-Pad autofiring

Post#3 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:02 am

Tarnish wrote:Those buttons are probably not making the best contact anymore. First suggestion would be to take apart the controller and clean the contact points both on the PCB and the rubber membranes with some rubbing alcohol or something similar.

Thank you for the attention!

I tried this yesterday with no results, but I'm not sure if I did it right:
By contact points you mean the part where the rubber touchs the PCB or those little "spikes" behind?

Oh, I think this is note worthing: I tried the controller open without the rubber piece and the fail is still there. The problem is at the PCB itself.

Return to “Support”