PSO Ver. 2 - Save on quit results in "Attempt to save was unsuccessful." message

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

fukuhara
shadow

PSO Ver. 2 - Save on quit results in "Attempt to save was unsuccessful." message

Post#1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:57 am

Hey, guys-

I've recently started playing PSO on my dreamcast for the first time (Version 2 NTSC-U). Offline or Online, when I go to exit the game and save, I am unable to save, which results in the character inventory being lost. I get the message "Attempt to save was unsuccessful". I am presented with options to "Save." (retry saving), and "Exit without Saving". Suffice it to say, retrying no matter how many times never works.

Has anyone experienced this and know a solution? I've tried different VMUs.

For what it's worth, I play using a terra onion MODE (my GD-ROM drive died ages ago), and I'm using a shared SNAK (I can't, so far, find a copy of the game for a reasonable price that I can trust to have an OEM case with the SNAK printed on it; I'd love to register it so I could just play online and save via the Sylverant server!).

Thanks for any thoughts you might be able to share. I look forward to getting online with those of you that still play PSO!

fukuhara
shadow

Re: PSO Ver. 2 - Save on quit results in "Attempt to save was unsuccessful." message

Post#2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:52 am

I created a brand new character with a different Shared SNAK than I used before (found one online), and the game appears to allow me to save properly now (???). Sorry to bother you all.

Follow-up question: There's a lot of differing information out on the web about SNAK and sylverant server. For dreamcast PSO Ver. 2 NTSC-U, if I backup my save files across several VMUs regularly, are there really any additional advantage (server events? How much should I bother?) to having a private SNAK? Copies of this game are ridiculously priced on eBay now. :(

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: PSO Ver. 2 - Save on quit results in "Attempt to save was unsuccessful." message

Post#3 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:34 am

The potential benefits of a non-shared serial are as follows:
  • Ability to participate in server events
  • Ability to use the /enablebk and /restorebk commands to do automatic (partial) character backups of your character data to the server (which is pointless if you're making your own backups, since manual backups are MUCH better, since they are complete)
  • A guarantee that your guild card number won't change if you move from console to console, erase the flashrom of your console, or have the battery die on your console (the first two will definitely cause your guild card number to change with a shared serial, the last might)
  • You can't be a GM with a shared serial (not that you are one, but it is technically a requirement to have a non-shared serial for this, so I'm including it for completeness)

fukuhara
shadow

Post#4 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:47 am

Thanks, BlueCrab, I'll keep an eye out for a complete copy of the game.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 pm

I don't know why the inlobby /save /restore plus the /enablebk automation is called partial backup

Many a time I've had to get my me$etas and/or my weap back. Restore quit game re-dial and everything is back on me including storeroom intact. I do too indeed do the manual backup!

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:52 pm

The server doesn't get your storeroom data to save it and it can't restore it either. It just doesn't touch it all. If your character file gets corrupted and you create a new file, then restore from the server on top of it, your storeroom will be empty (just as the new file had it).

It also can't restore things like cmode data or battle data.