Needed for DC half life PVRStudioMDL v.1.0

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Needed for DC half life PVRStudioMDL v.1.0

Post#11 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:29 pm

Still need this to do custom maps the other is nice but it's for normal half life mapping..

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:55 am

PVRStudioMDL_v.1.0
Download https://mega.nz/file/RuwxwILb#Rb8vgv90S ... IuVF_1vbWU
Thanks cptPauer for PVRStudioMDL_v.1.0 (he took it from his backup hdd and upload it).

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:59 am

Ivan Guber wrote:PVRStudioMDL_v.1.0
Download https://mega.nz/file/RuwxwILb#Rb8vgv90S ... IuVF_1vbWU
Thanks cptPauer for PVRStudioMDL_v.1.0 (he took it from his backup hdd and upload it).

Thank you Ivan and cptPauer!! with out this i could not keep going on this project..

1000 thank you's to you both ..

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#14 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:29 pm

Is cptPauer the person who originally started the counter strike hl mod?

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#15 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:51 pm

Amazing what this community is capable of.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:03 pm

Ivan and CptPauer coming in clutch! This is what I love about this community, making the impossible happen.

-drez01- wrote:Is cptPauer the person who originally started the counter strike hl mod?

Nah cptPauer was the guy who made HL Grunt mod, and these tools. Ovverride and Dreammatrix were the duo who worked on most of the mods you see, such as CSDC and Paranoia, they worked on both of those ports, and Dreammatrix ported quite a few on his own too. Dreammatric is also known as R4mbo here and some other sites. He released the Gunman Chronicles Dreamcast port under this alias. This was the most recent HL mod for the DC using the assets from a PC exclusive HL engine game of the aforementioned.

I feel these forums should be posted here just so others can look at and see where all this small yet dedicated HLDC modding community was a decade ago.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110913171 ... forum/f83/

You have to play around with the web archive capture date some to get many pages to load but a LOT of useful and helpful info about modding the HLDC port.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#17 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 am

cptPauer also shared FAQ on recompiling models from Counter-Strike (and other mods) under DCHL. Download

cptPauer wrote:there is also some old instruction about how to remake models from Counter-Strike to dreamcast Half-Life.
I'm not sure that this is relevant and they didn't come up with something better, but it used to be like this.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:39 am

Ivan Guber wrote:cptPauer also shared FAQ on recompiling models from Counter-Strike (and other mods) under DCHL. Download

cptPauer wrote:there is also some old instruction about how to remake models from Counter-Strike to dreamcast Half-Life.
I'm not sure that this is relevant and they didn't come up with something better, but it used to be like this.

Thank you this is helpful .. i have got models working just from the other worked it out.. This is very helpful indeed.. please thank them for me :) :D :D :D :D :D

I'm doing it another way using the tools and have tested it .. Glad to have this it's not as much work as i was doing for each model.. :)

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#19 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:26 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
Ivan Guber wrote:cptPauer also shared FAQ on recompiling models from Counter-Strike (and other mods) under DCHL. Download

Thank you this is helpful .. i have got models working just from the other worked it out.. This is very helpful indeed.. please thank them for me :) :D :D :D :D :D

I'm doing it another way using the tools and have tested it .. Glad to have this it's not as much work as i was doing for each model.. :)

You can thank him directly, also if you have questions about modding HL i think he could be help you. :)
Here is his telegram channel https://t.me/retro_nerds

cptPauer
noob

Post#20 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:14 pm

Ian Micheal wrote: please thank them for me

You're welcome

Ian Micheal wrote:Nah cptPauer was the guy who made HL Grunt mod, and these tools. Ovverride and Dreammatrix were the duo who worked on most of the mods you see, such as CSDC and Paranoia, they worked on both of those ports, and Dreammatrix ported quite a few on his own too. Dreammatrix is also known as R4mbo here and some other sites. He released the Gunman Chronicles Dreamcast port under this alias.

-drez01- wrote:Is cptPauer the person who originally started the counter strike hl mod?

Actually, yes. But it's not a big deal, I think.

It was just unusual in 2006 to mod Dreamcast games without a devkit or something, since back then there was no even emulator that could run Half-Life DC (a WinCE game!) and we forced to use CD-RW discs etc.

But it not that difficult today, I believe.
Also, it was OVERRiDE (in 2010-10-10) who modified StudioMDL to support PVR.

Here's the story..

In an ancient time, Dreammatrix (he lived in Brasil, I believe) was the first one who found out that resources from PC-version of Half-Life are somewhat compatible with Dreamcast. But I do not know about that and continued my own experiments with Opposing Force and Counter-Strike.

That info I posted on dc-labs in 2006-09-18 (site can be offline). Dreammatrix noticed it and contacted me via email. We continued ours researches together.

I discovered that there exists a simple way to inject PVR textures into WAD files (via Total Commander with GAUP plugin) and teach everyone how to use that.

Dreammatrix worked on Counter-Strike maps with Fergo Entity Editor. It was a very interesting and rare tool that allows you to modify "Entities" (i.e. add more enemies, etc.) without recompiling a map from sources.

In the meanwhile I was busy with sprites and ported custom models from CS1.3. There was no PVRStudioMDL, back in the days, so all models in CSDC are not optimized, as far as I remember.

Counter-Stike models were not official (and not from Counter-Strike on PC really), but they looked cool, considering the fact that they were that low-poly (there were even less polygons than in HLDC).

Models was not mine, I just recompiled them and changed the animations order (also textures maybe) to made them compatible with Half-Life DC. Some models and sprites was used just as placeholders, though, but never was replaced in the end.

We did not have the source for maps (.map/.rmf), so there was no way to optimize them, and CSDC (it's a Half-Life total conversion, technically) is very glitchy. But it opened the door for other modifications (figuratively speaking). I didn't even want to release CSDC mod in this state, but since Dreammatrix did most of the work with that maps, he had right to make this decision.

Then, Evil_Wesker joined to the team. He was a Resident Evil and Stalker fan and I taught him how to use GTKRadiant 1.4. "The Grunt mod" mentioned above was his project, but he used prefabs from my unfinished "Resident Evil 4 total conversion" and JP Trespasser map.

I didn't finish my projects because I was working in GTKRadiant 1.4 and really liked that map editor but it had compatibility issues with DCHL unlike Worldcraft/Valve Hammer Editor or Quark.

As an image builder we used "Shoometsu SelfBoot Batch Script" (currently evolved to Lazyboot SelfBoot Kit).
"SelfBoot Batch Script" was in Spanish (or Portuguese, do not remember) and had compatibility issues, so it was rewritten and I maintained his successor and another popular scripts/toolpacks for years. Not for Half-Life specifically, but for What's Shenmue/Shenmue1, ShenmueHD, Skyrim etc.

Then, when dcfan.net.ru was closed, I moved to translation projects and to Skyrim/Morrowind/SORR modding mostly.

I would like to note, that before dcfan died (I had feeling that site will be closed), I created a backup of all static pages with Teleport PRO (since the info from "Mods and Addons" subforum was somewhat useful/nostalgic). That archive is usually available online but currently the hoster have problems with server availability.

That's the story.