Dreamcast "crashed" and now resets after a few seconds

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Stewcumber
rebel

Dreamcast "crashed" and now resets after a few seconds

Post#1 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:34 am

I was playing MSR for about 15 minutes and I lost all video and sound. The console reset itself but would crash with a glitchy screen as soon as it started reading from the disk. Then it would crash with a glitchy screen even during the dreamcast logo or boot screen.

It's a standard HKT-3030 DC but with the noctua fan mod. I hope it is not dead as the laser still reads disks fine!

Any ideas what is up with it? Do I need to open it up to look for anything?

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Dreamcast "crashed" and now resets after a few seconds

Post#2 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 am

Chances are it's a problem with the PSU. Most common problem is that the (6) pins of the PSU don't connect properly anymore. This can be simply fixed yourself without having the need for technical knowledge. Simply open up your Dreamcast, take out the PSU, slightly bend the pins so that they better align with the PSU and put it back in.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:52 am

Sounds also like overheating sure the fan is even pushing enff air..

Stewcumber
rebel

Post#4 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:59 am

Hmmm I set it up on my monitor over VGA (using a different power cable too actually) and it's been running MSR just fine. I am suspicious!

I don't think it's overheating as it's been ran for an hour plus many times since the fan went in.

I've been meaning to swap out to a new, cooler, power supply so maybe i'll finally buy that as an early Christmas present.

Hellmizer
noob

Post#5 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:33 pm

I had similar symptoms on my modded dreamcast(gdemu+dreampsu+noctua fan), but in addition to that fan wouldn't always spin on boot. Upon taking console apart i've noticed that one of the pins on fan connector wasn't attached to the daughter board anymore. So i've reflowed fan connector with fresh solder and for good measure replaced old thermal pads on mainboard itself, been running flawlessly since then.