GDemu not properly playing games

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SanicTeam
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Sonic, Phantasy Star

GDemu not properly playing games

Post by SanicTeam »

I had recently gotten a GDemu clone to mod my Dreamcast as a gift for my brother. But something weird happens whenever I load a game. I have 267 Dreamcast games on my sd card and I have used GDmenu Card Manager to insert and sort the games. When i boot up my Dreamcast it sends me straight to the menu like normal. However, hardly any of the games on the menu have icons. In fact only the first few games near the top of the menu actually work. If I were to scroll down through the menu and play any other game, the screen would pause for a moment, go black, and play the Dreamcast intro. But the intro never plays out like normal, its almost as if it was skipped and the animation does not occur. After that I get sent to the Dreamcast menu. I figured I could just press play and It would play the game i selected on the GDmenu but it just says "Please insert game disc.".

This is my first time modding a Dreamcast and maybe I did something wrong? I've seen multiple videos on how to properly add a GDemu on the Dreamcast step by step, so I'm a little confused here. Something to note too is that I tried adding only a select few games on my sd card and it works just fine, my main goal is to have as many games in an sd card to avoid buying more sd cards. I have a hunch that it has something to do with how many games i have on the sd card but if thats so how come no one else seems to be having the same issue as me? Any sort of help would be very appreciated! Thank you!
Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: GDemu not properly playing games

Post by Motoracer5 »

Hey, I had similar issues with cheap SD card. A SanDisk fixed me up. Good luck!
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Most times it's just the SD card or the tool you used to do sadly might not wanted to know that.. Can put more then 267 on there including homebrew etc.. Key was prolly worked fine with less games.. Got a proper sd card and start again..

annoying but solves most of these troubles..
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

Are you using a proper SD card or a micro SD in an adapter?

I had games occasionally locking up and doing weird things, then switched to a Sandisk and all good now.
SanicTeam
shadow

Post by SanicTeam »

Thank you all for your help! Ill try getting another Sd card. Apparently I didnt put much thought on what kind of Sd card I had gotten, when buying this cheap sd card I was just tunnel visioned into getting whatever high capacity sd card which was 512gb. But after seeing what I got, I dont even think it had SDXC. Ill keep you all updated on how the new Sd card goes! Again, Thank you guys! I really appreciate it!
Motoracer5
blackout!

Post by Motoracer5 »

I have never had a problem using microSD to SD adapters. I did quit using the Madsheep(?) app for loading cards, it was annoying and often corrupted my cards when changing content. The app that a member here made (sonik, I think) has worked flawless for me though
Dreamcazman
fire

Post by Dreamcazman »

Motoracer5 wrote:I have never had a problem using microSD to SD adapters.
It might have just been the card/adapter I was using. As I was buying a new card, thought might as well get a normal sized SD card.
Motoracer5
blackout!

Post by Motoracer5 »

Dreamcazman wrote:
Motoracer5 wrote:I have never had a problem using microSD to SD adapters.
It might have just been the card/adapter I was using. As I was buying a new card, thought might as well get a normal sized SD card.
Yeah, may as well get a normal SD if it is only being used on the GDemu
SanicTeam
shadow

Post by SanicTeam »

SanicTeam wrote:Thank you all for your help! Ill try getting another Sd card. Apparently I didnt put much thought on what kind of Sd card I had gotten, when buying this cheap sd card I was just tunnel visioned into getting whatever high capacity sd card which was 512gb. But after seeing what I got, I dont even think it had SDXC. Ill keep you all updated on how the new Sd card goes! Again, Thank you guys! I really appreciate it!
Well I bought a Sandisk MicroSD card and filled it with games but it still gave me the same issue. I figured it must have been the games themselves that doesn't work but no I tried them on an emulator and they work fine. I believe I've come to the result of having to load less games overall. Its a shame since I was expecting this to be the last thing I do to make the GDmenu load all of my games, but I figure that now I should just either split my game list into two sd cards, or just choose a select few games to have on my sd card. Something that I'll also try is to shrink my sd card so that it can fit just enough games on it while not having any sort of extra unused space, not sure if it'll help but it's probably worth trying.
Spleet
minority
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Worms World Party, Quake 3, 4x4 Evo, Chu Chu Rocket, StarLancer, POD SpeedZone, Bomberman Online*

Post by Spleet »

Certain GDMenu versions are picky when it comes to .cdi games. It is recommended that you use complete .GDI images for greater compatibility. I have a separate SD card specifically for certain .cdi files that, for whatever reason, are not bootable in my current openMenu setup. This is anecdotal, but it may help.