What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JaKSLaP
rebel

What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Post#1 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi

I have been out of the scene again for a while now. Just wondering has there been any advances in GDMenu Launcher. I currently have a clone 5.15 running GDMenu, is there anything better out these days

JaKSLaP
rebel

Re: What launcher is everyone using GDMenu Openmenu?

Post#3 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:14 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Yes open menu

40 pages of info for you.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14537&hilit=openmenu

Thanks Ian, tried it out last night and looks awesome!

pepelusky
noob

Post#4 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:47 pm

open menu been working great for me for some time, time to updgrade version probably

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#5 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:06 pm

Hello,

Great forum with awesome developments. Thought that my newbie questions don't deserve its own thread, hopefully I can get some answers, anyway.

I'm using GD Menu's last version, I filled my SD card manually for different reasons, and now I'd like to manually edit the game names as shown within the menu - is that possible without using SD Card Manager? I tried to retrieve a name list or something once GD Menu was run the first time (as you'd do with Rhea/Phoebe, for instance), but its folder didn't have anything I could use. I also tried placing a TXT file within each game folder, and it didn't work, neither, as the file name nor as line of text within. Where does GD Menu get the game names from?

I'd like a minimalist a approach as well - is it possible to get rid of the cover images GD Emu uses? I found quite surprising that, without adding an image pack or anything to the installation, GD Emu by itself is using cover images, which, again, I don't have a clue where does it get them from!

Thanks in advance.

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:38 pm

So any expert here can just confirm if the game names in GD Menu's list can be modified on Windows without SD Card Manager, please?

Should I be trying with Open Menu instead or it would also need an external program as well?

lordeilluminati
noob

Post#7 » Mon May 08, 2023 10:26 am

Honestly I am using gdmenu. I really appreciate openmenu but not having cdi support is a big deal.
I want to fill my card with as many games as possible. Yes, many times gdis can be optimized to reduce the file size, but other times the cdi version is still smaller so I rather use them. Other rare case is Sega Rally 2: the game on GDI format freezes on a certain track, on the CDI version works fine even though the soundtrack is missing.

I'd like to manually edit the game names as shown within the menu

With gdemu card manager you just click twice on the name of the game you want to edit.

megggan
lithium

Post#8 » Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm

Does OpenMenu work with CDIs now?

Bassa-Bassa
shadow

Post#9 » Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm

Didn't know Open Menu doesn't support CDI. Do you mean it won't acknowledge/load the games or just that you can't use cover art and whatnot with them?

As for the card manager, thanks for pointing out, but the problem is I can't run it on my computer. Really surprised that you can't edit game names on GD Menu just via txt or something. Or maybe I'm still missing something.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#10 » Mon May 08, 2023 5:04 pm

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Didn't know Open Menu doesn't support CDI. Do you mean it won't acknowledge/load the games or just that you can't use cover art and whatnot with them?

As for the card manager, thanks for pointing out, but the problem is I can't run it on my computer. Really surprised that you can't edit game names on GD Menu just via txt or something. Or maybe I'm still missing something.

If you manually added the games without a card manager app then gdemu reads the IP.bin file inside each iso (CDI/GDI) file. Card managers create a file that is used to display names.

Openmenu currently runs some cdi files but not all. Xenocider is a big name game in cdi that it doesn't play. Mrneo240 is still working on support. It reads all gdi files though.
Last edited by dubcity on Tue May 23, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.