Ide sata mod on gdrom please

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Drakengard780
noob

Ide sata mod on gdrom please

Post#1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi everyone, I ask you a big favor. I am desperately trying to install a sata hard drive with an adapter. I followed the dragon city guide, connected all the points. Nothing to do connected 10 different hard drives both ide and sata, but it remains either blocked or does not start. I have been attentive to the formatting with mbr in fat32 with aomei, but also with gui format and the windows tool, but nothing recognizes the partition in fat32 but it gets stuck with any disk.
Following a user on youtube I also tried to solder pin 1 to a 10k resistor, but nothing, I also tried a 470picofarad ceramic capacitor but nothing the same. On the ide sata adapter I was careful to use the jumper on slave. still nothing.
the only partition that reads me is that of the sd that I installed on serial.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Re: Ide sata mod on gdrom please

Post#2 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:32 pm

Did you use the Dragon City GD-Rom PCB?
The one that you solder on the bottom of the GD-Rom drive adding an IDE port?

I have one too and found out it's a bit picky when it comes to the length of the IDE cable.
I use it with IDE2CF card reader.
I carved a slot on the side of my case so I can easily insert CF cards.
The CF reader is glued on top of the slot where you can insert the modem/BBA.

Because of that I had to use a 40 conductor IDE cable.
One side goes into the Dragon City PCB on the bottom of the GD-Rom drive.
I cut the other side and soldered the wires to the IDE2CF slot.

I notices that the wires have to be really short or else it will fail to read the disk.
Also I added extra ground wires using thicker kynar wire which helps a lot.

But if you're not going to cut and solder the IDE cable, I suggest you use a 80 conductor (udma) cable instead.
That one shouldn't give any problems.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:23 pm

Do you need a bios mod first before you do the HDD mod?

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#4 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:25 pm

Bios mod allows you to flash the dreamshell bios to boot directly from IDE.
However, with the Dragon City PCB you retain your GD-Rom drive in a working state, so you can also insert the DreamShell disc, which will detect IDE and boot from there.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:27 am

For me, not all brand run with dreamshell.
Crucial and Samsung yes, not sûre for others...

Drakengard780
noob

Post#6 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. While waiting for the pcb from dragon city to arrive, I did the job manually. 40 PIN cable ide. Now post a video so you understand better. IDE SATA adapters are the same ones that dragon city sell them .

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:54 am

I am one of the developers of DreamShell, I have two dreamcasts and the SATA adapter does not work on both.
there is only one sata adapter soldered to the GDROM board and it boots, but randomly freezes when loading or in the game.
I recommend using IDE HDD, there are no problems with them.

Drakengard780
noob

Post#8 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:47 am

Yet I have now bought an adapter from Dragon city, a PCB and I honestly do not know whether to put it. Because I burned 3 hard drives yesterday from rehearsing and now I'm afraid of doing that job again. Anyone know the tensions to watch on ide points? I also tried to solder a sata connector under the dreamcast motherboard, but even there it didn't read it. For now it works with modified BIOS and I soldered an SD adapter under the motherboard. But the SD doesn't read me some games. Anyone by any chance is an expert on SD?

Inviato dal mio DN2103 utilizzando Tapatalk