PAL DC W/ GDEMU FREEZES AFTER 1HR+ GAMEPLAY

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

djhazardous
lithium

PAL DC W/ GDEMU FREEZES AFTER 1HR+ GAMEPLAY

Post#1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:00 am

Hello folks, I'm having a bit of difficulty with my SEGA Dreamcast.

It is a PAL DC with the 1 in a circle on the bottom. I installed a GDEMU and it worked perfectly. I recently installed a tray and SD card extender.

It seemed to work fine as before but it has started to freeze at random, mostly in the GDEMU list. After that I turned it off and then it went straight to BIOS - doesn't find 01 -the GDmenu, the light on the board was solid red. I kept trying to get it going by slowly turning it on and off but it would always immediately go to the BIOS. I read from the maker the light should not emit during correct function. I have taken it apart and re seated the GDEMU. I have also swapped the PSU with another PAL ring 1 (a faulty spare of my deceased father) as I thought it was a old knackered PSU but still having issues. I think it might be that PSU issue where it's giving off too much power and causing it to overheat.

I don't feel comfortable adding resistors and what not because

a. someone on youtube comments said they burnt their psu and was sure about placing it in correct hole (3rd from right if i remember correctly )
b. i'm stupid and don't know about resistors or which to buy

Would a Dream PSU solve this?

They're £30 - can buy another working DC for twice that. Will the Dream PSU fix the GDEMU power issue or would that require the resistor mod as well?

Thank you.

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: PAL DC W/ GDEMU FREEZES AFTER 1HR+ GAMEPLAY

Post#2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:47 pm

I would first either reformat the SD card or try another one. I used to have the occasional game freeze until I did this.

It can also be a power supply issue, but don't buy the Dream PSU, they're not the best. Either get a Pico PSU setup or get a ReDream PSU, I have the latter and no issues.

You could also completely remove the 12v regulator from the original PSU.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... gdemu_and/

Geords
noob

Re: PAL DC W/ GDEMU FREEZES AFTER 1HR+ GAMEPLAY

Post#3 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:52 am

Random freezing and booting directly into the BIOS can be caused by various factors, including improper installation, hardware compatibility, or power supply problems. Double-check the connections between the GDEMU, tray, and SD card extender to ensure they are secure and properly seated. If the issue persists, it could be related to power supply problems.
Geometry Dash World