Tv being incompatible to Dreamcast VGA signal?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Fireshadows
noob

Tv being incompatible to Dreamcast VGA signal?

Post#1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:40 am

Hellu, I inherited a Sony Bravia KDL-26EX302 and bought a VGA cable from Kaico in hopes to experience VGA gloriness.

Well, my Bravia doesn't seem to like it as it outputs neither video or sound and the PC input channel displays a message reading 'Wrong Signal Frequency'. I've seen a VGA TV compatability list on this website and some Bravia KDL models were listed as working, so I was pretty sure I would have no issues.

I read that the Dreamcast's VGA signal outputs 720x480? I suppose my Bravia can't handle that, kinda tragic honestly.

Anyone else who could possibly have the same TV but still gets it working? Some configuration that needs to be done?
Or maybe I'm better off finding a new TV that is possibly compatible with Dreamcast's VGA signal.
Any help or suggestions super appreciated!

aldair
Metallic

Re: Tv being incompatible to Dreamcast VGA signal?

Post#2 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:43 am

Fireshadows wrote:Hellu, I inherited a Sony Bravia KDL-26EX302 and bought a VGA cable from Kaico in hopes to experience VGA gloriness.

Well, my Bravia doesn't seem to like it as it outputs neither video or sound and the PC input channel displays a message reading 'Wrong Signal Frequency'. I've seen a VGA TV compatability list on this website and some Bravia KDL models were listed as working, so I was pretty sure I would have no issues.

I read that the Dreamcast's VGA signal outputs 720x480? I suppose my Bravia can't handle that, kinda tragic honestly.

Anyone else who could possibly have the same TV but still gets it working? Some configuration that needs to be done?
Or maybe I'm better off finding a new TV that is possibly compatible with Dreamcast's VGA signal.

Many cables do not come with a 150r resistor in v_sync on pin 9 of the Dreamcast connector, without it the monitor will not recognize the cable. Cables with high resistance can work randomly in many devices.
This is my monitor: https://www.amazon.com.br/MONITOR-ACER-CB272-BMIPRX-UM-HB2AA-004/dp/B08GD26CRJ/ref=asc_df_B08GD26CRJ/?tag=googleshopp00-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=379817900090&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11400592473632490424&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1032070&hvtargid=pla-1276237575484&psc=1

Fireshadows
noob

Re: Tv being incompatible to Dreamcast VGA signal?

Post#3 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:58 am

aldair wrote:
Fireshadows wrote:Hellu, I inherited a Sony Bravia KDL-26EX302 and bought a VGA cable from Kaico in hopes to experience VGA gloriness.

Many cables do not come with a 150r resistor in v_sync on pin 9 of the Dreamcast connector, without it the monitor will not recognize the cable. Cables with high resistance can work randomly in many devices.
This is my monitor: https://www.amazon.com.br/MONITOR-ACER-CB272-BMIPRX-UM-HB2AA-004/dp/B08GD26CRJ/ref=asc_df_B08GD26CRJ/?tag=googleshopp00-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=379817900090&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11400592473632490424&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1032070&hvtargid=pla-1276237575484&psc=1

Oh hmm, I guess there is no way to tell whether they work until you get the cable so you can test for yourself? But I can't keep purchasing new cables and hope they work, unless I ask for a raise at work. Maybe those cables should advertise that they have high resistance and I could filter out the weak.

I was actually able to get audio now, it seems I was supposed to connect the audio cables using an audio jack, into the pc audio port underneath. So the cable can at least output audio. However there is still no picture. 'Wrong Signal Frequency' it keeps saying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... ant_solve/
In this thread someone mentions grounding pin 5 on a cheap vga cable using a fine wire, which I attempted without success. I even kinda felt silly trying to make it work when sticking in the wire haha

I'm thinking I'm better off trying to get hands on a TV that is confirmed to work with the VGA signal that the Dreamcast has. I've seen a SyncMaster 940mw on sale but unsure if the seller will deliver it. But it has component so I can play my PS2 games on it as well. Otherwise I have no way to know if it's the cable that just can't output any video because of no resistor like you say.