F355 iso modification

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Le Duc
rebel

F355 iso modification

Post#1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:39 pm

Hello,

I acquired a Brook Wingman SD which allows modern controllers to be connected to Dreamcast and Saturn.
I'm not very attracted by this function in reality, but I especially wanted to see if it was possible to play F355 (among others) with a steering wheel.

I plugged the G29 into it, and in PS3 mode I can play, which is a good start, but not with the pedal board.
It is however well recognized but the game does not allow you to assign keys to it (the accelerator is configured on the D-Pad UP and the brake on the DOWN).
The brook allows you to re-assign the keys, which is a great option! But unfortunately again, the G29 not having a real "PS" button, I have the impression that remapping is not possible on it. Finally I did not succeed.

After a few tears of despair, I glimpsed a solution, which unfortunately is not within my technical reach, and this is the reason for creating this topic:

I remember not so long ago, the Atomiswave games landed with a bang on Dreamcast and the Metal Slug 5 (or 6?) was offered with 2 different key configurations, depending on whether we were playing the arcade stick or the controller .
It is this detail that gives me a glimmer of hope in my project to finally play F355 with a steering wheel and pedals.

Does anyone here know how to reassign the keys within the ISO file itself?
I think it happens with a hex editor by changing some values.

In the example of F355, the modification to be made would be:

The A becomes the D-PAD UP
The X becomes the D-PAD DOWN

(To be confirmed, it is quite the opposite)

And after, once this knowledge is acquired, we can make “G29 Ready” versions of each of the Dreamcast games.

It would be great

Please tell me someone can do this...

The gadget in question:

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/62472958/

Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: F355 iso modification

Post#2 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:14 pm

You can just remap the buttons with another controller. Maps are saved on the Brook, it doesn't switch when you change controllers

Le Duc
rebel

Post#3 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:42 am

Do you think the brook does not make a difference between each controller??

I'll try but I don't really believe it. :-/

thanks for the advice

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#4 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:49 am

Not sure if any wheels work correctly with wingman sd yet. They have advertised that xbox and ps accessories work but in pictures and pdf files it only shows arcade sticks and controllers.

Le Duc
rebel

Post#5 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:52 am

Exactly. And it’s to be sure that I bought it!
The G29 works perfectly on the steering wheel and buttons. It's just this remapping story that gets stuck.
It's very frustrating.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#6 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:54 am

Wingman SD1_00001.jpg

no wheels in this pic

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#7 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:55 am

There is a brook representative on dc-talk discord. I've asked him if the wheels are supported.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#8 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:56 am

Le Duc wrote:Exactly. And it’s to be sure that I bought it!
The G29 works perfectly on the steering wheel and buttons. It's just this remapping story that gets stuck.
It's very frustrating.

If thats the case then can you map the pedals to RT and LT?

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#9 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:03 am

You say there is no real ps button. So this button in yellow square doesn't work?

LOGITECH-G29-DRIVING-FORCE_1.png

Le Duc
rebel

Post#10 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:57 am

OK, I made progress on the subject!

MOTORACER5, I apologize for having doubts about you because you were right, once you have configured a PS3 controller, you can disconnect the controller and connect the steering wheel, the parameters are well saved from one to the other!
It's already a good point. :)

Unfortunately, the answer comes from the notice:

"buttons that can be remap include: A, B, X, Y, LB, RB, LT, RT, LSB, RSB"….no direction….

That's why it didn't work when I set the throttle to the "up" direction of the direction cross!

It would therefore suffice for BROOK to authorize the remapping of the 4 digital direction to solve the problem.