Dreamcast VM2 Prototype shown in youtube video

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Dreamcast VM2 Prototype shown in youtube video

Post#1 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:45 pm

The creator has a working prototype of the VM2 on display in his Youtube channel that shows some of the various functions it can do

Here is a bit of information right from his website that details the goals of the VM2

"​Externally keeping it as closer to the original design as possible, but internally with new electronics and upgrading its original functionality:

New monochrome LCD with backlight : Switchable from the user if desired, for battery saving

Higher screen resolution: the user will be able to select between original (48x32), or 2x scaled (96x64)

micro SD storage : with the use of an SD card, the user will have almost infinite space to store all virtual VMUs. This refers to either VMUs with normal save data, or VMUs with mini-games. They can be organized into folders (i.e. per game) or just put everything in the root of the SD. The current VMU file to be used will be selected from the VM2 menu. If the selected VMU file contains a mini-game, then it can be played - like with an original VMU.

Internal storage of 1x VMU : In case that an SD card is not used, the VM2 will still be operational with its internal storage of 1x 128Kb space. In case an SD card is used, then both storages will be available to the user. Again, the current VMU page (or file) to be used will be selected from the VM2 menu.​

Embedded High-capacity LiPo battery : This will replace the 2x coin-batteries and provide longer operation time

External charging : The VM2 will charge either from its micro-USB connector, or from the controller while playing

PC connectivity : The VM2 will be able to connect to a PC from its micro-USB

Memory management : Connecting to a PC and using a custom GUI, the user will be able to backup/restore the internal (1x) storage. ​In case a micro SD card is used, then it will be simply managed from any OS explorer for copying/moving/organizing its contents and files. All files will be in the format of a full VMU dumb (.bin, .vmu) - compatible with almost all existing software and emulators (i.e. VMU Explorer, ReDream, etc.).​

UPDATE: Based on the invaluable community support & feedback, here's a list of new additions that I was asked for:

Original cap reproduction : The VM2 will come with our favorite(!) original protective cap

Beeper support : The user will have the option to enable/disable the original audio beeping

Battery connector: The VM2 will make use of common JST battery connector for easily remove & replace

DreamEye support: VM2-GUI feature to extract DreamEye camera photos from save files and store as JPEG

Language support: The user will be able to select between English(US) and Japanese(JP) language"

Here is the youtube link
https://youtu.be/rkzMtDA4yqU
Attachments
white-3_orig.jpg
white-2_orig.jpg
white-1_orig.jpg
white-0_orig.jpg
top_orig.png
img-20220805-101231_orig.jpg
img-20220805-100651_orig.jpg
img-20220805-100618_orig.jpg
bottom_orig.png
Last edited by killer-elite on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: Dreamcast VM2 Prototype shown in youtube video

Post#2 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 pm

I have made a post on my facebook group to let them know about his youtube video and link his website. I can't wait till I can pre-order this

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Can't wait for this to come out

Axel85
lithium

Post#4 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:52 am

If the price is what has been said I will buy it first day of release . It fixes all the flawn of the original vmu (we're still missing mp3 support :mrgreen: ) . Hope for more vmu games development

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#5 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:11 am

Axel85 wrote:If the price is what has been said I will buy it first day of release . It fixes all the flawn of the original vmu (we're still missing mp3 support :mrgreen: ) . Hope for more vmu games development

what's the price?
I read previously that it will not be cheap...

Axel85
lithium

Post#6 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:38 pm

VirtuaShenmue wrote:
Axel85 wrote:If the price is what has been said I will buy it first day of release . It fixes all the flawn of the original vmu (we're still missing mp3 support :mrgreen: ) . Hope for more vmu games development

what's the price?

I read he tried to stay under 100€

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#7 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:59 pm

Axel85 wrote:
VirtuaShenmue wrote:

what's the price?

I read he tried to stay under 100€

Sweet

Dreamtastic
lithium

Post#8 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:23 pm

This is great stuff keeping the dream alive! This upgrade seems to be a long time coming and seems like it will be an awesome way to bring the VMU in this age! Can't wait!