Dreamcast VMU Problem

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

killer-elite
blackout!

Dreamcast VMU Problem

Post#1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Hi I just bought this VMU and it was listed on eBay being Brand New in the Box, but when I opened it I noticed it was warped in a couple of places on the VMU shell itself. Also the VMU case was cracked in two places (maybe from the extreme heat) and the VMU battery cap seems to be warped as well (also when inserting coin cell batteries they are hard to insert/remove), enough for it to not want to naturally fall out, its sort of wedged into place by friction. Also I might add the VMU does not power on when you insert coin cell batteries but It does seem to function when inserted into a Dreamcast Controller...My questions is do I return the VMU or keep it?? It was New Sealed but it was mysteriously damaged by heat somehow, even the outer plastic packaging was warped. I kinda feel bad about returning it but I'm scared of doing so cause some sellers want to impost restocking fees or returns fees, which I don't even want to bother with. I know down the line if I do keep this VMU I probably wont get back what I paid for it being its defected, So I'm kinda stuck on what to do.... Any thoughts???
Attachments
DSC04760.JPG
DSC04751.JPG
DSC04748.JPG
DSC04747.JPG
DSC04746.JPG
DSC04745.JPG
DSC04735.JPG
DSC04734.JPG
DSC04733.JPG
DSC04732.JPG
DSC04729.JPG
DSC04726.JPG
DSC04724.JPG
DSC04723.JPG
DSC04722.JPG
DSC04720.JPG
Last edited by killer-elite on Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

MondoGecko
minority

Re: Dreamcast VMU Problem

Post#2 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 pm

I'd contact whoever sold it to you and explain the issue. If you're lucky they'll offer to refund if you return the item, most eBay sellers seem pretty understanding.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#3 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:04 pm

MondoGecko wrote:I'd contact whoever sold it to you and explain the issue. If you're lucky they'll offer to refund if you return the item, most eBay sellers seem pretty understanding.

I'm doing just that, I hoping for a partial refund and if he doesn't want to do it I'm going to have to return it. Its a shame cause I've been looking for this item for my collection for a long time at this price, but its hard to digest with all these flaws for a expensive item. I'm kinda mad at myself for even bothering buying it cause of how distressed the packaging was, I took a chance and failed big time.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#4 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:39 pm

UPDATE - I talked it out with the seller and he did not want to accept a return or a partial refund. So I'm going threw eBay to get my money back cause the item arrived defective and damaged. If eBay does't want to help I also paid with Paypal and have their money back guarantee on items, so fingers crossed I can get eBay to accept the return or just give me back my money. Wish me luck. If all else fails I will probably end up selling this VMU and leaving Negative Feedback to the guy for not being so understanding in the situation. I total lose, lose situation, unfortunately.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#5 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:04 am

Ebay is really good for these kind of things. They take their reputation seriously. They got your back. I wouldn’t worry too much about it ;)

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#6 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 am

-drez01- wrote:Ebay is really good for these kind of things. They take their reputation seriously. They got your back. I wouldn’t worry too much about it ;)

Thanks the guy finally agreed to the return and refund after I opened a return threw eBay and had it under defective/broken items. I had to threaten him with a "If you don't want to accept this return eBay will go in my favor, refund me the money and I will get to keep this item for free". That description is the only way eBay will give you your money back being the item arrived damage. I've had a couple of returns when I first started out where both the seller and eBay flat out denied my return because I selected the wrong reason. One time eBay randomly denied my refund on a item I never received in the mail and had to go threw Paypal to get my money back.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#7 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 am

Glad you're getting this sorted, I would have been really disappointed with that purchase too. I just bought a monitor on eBay for my Dreamcast that arrived with a couple of dead USB ports, which isn't a huge deal, they're just USB ports, but the item wasn't as described and I asked for a partial refund from the seller. It's been a few days and he hasn't responded, I'm likely going to escalate and get eBay involved, unfortunately. I don't even want all the money back I paid for it, a simple $5 refund would be fine, but at this point the seller seems unwilling to engage or acknowledge the issue.