Jet Grind Radio GDemu Audio issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MondoGecko
minority

Jet Grind Radio GDemu Audio issue

Post#1 » Tue May 31, 2022 11:07 pm

I just finished playing Jet Grind Radio on my GDemu and the soundtrack in the ending and credits is all messed up. It's like it's playing the audio track twice and they're both out of sync. I'm using the tosec release, anyone experience anything like this? The rest of the game was fine.

MondoGecko
minority

Re: Jet Grind Radio GDemu Audio issue

Post#2 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:52 am

After further testing, for some reason the ending audio works fine as long as I'm not using any custom graffiti. Is this a known issue? If not could anyone confirm if this also happens on disc or not? Curious if this is a GDemu specific issue. Either way it's nice to enjoy the ending of the game now lol

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:47 am

It's a Gdemu issue, some games have issues with timing for music, Quake 3 is another that will play a music track and never play the next until you pause and unpause.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#4 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:10 pm

I've been playing more (going for 100% completion) and it seems like the custom graffiti actually doesn't affect it, and I can't seem to reproduce it playing correctly. It played correctly once and I'm not sure it will ever again lol. I'm chalking this up to GDemu for now but I'm curious if it could also be a power issue. My Dreamcast has had some work (removed 12v rail, controller board components replaced) and I'm not the most skilled with a soldering iron. However, this is the only issue like this I've encountered, and like I said, the rest of the game plays exactly as it should.

For now I'm going to hold onto my save at Final Groove until I have the opportunity to test it inside of another Dreamcast or another GDemu. Jet Set Radio is my favorite Dreamcast game and I shied away from emulation to explicitly avoid issues like this so even something relatively inconsequential like this is really disappointing.

EDIT: I've concluded the audio issue occurs when you finish a level at the exact moment you're taking damage. The audio issue appeared once again immediately after the Poison Jam "tag their backs" level as I was taking damage, and will occur every time after Final Groove if you end up in the glass bubble with Goji. However, if you jump over it completely, tag him, and don't touch him, the ending audio plays fine. I've tested this a few times to be sure. Again I'm assuming this is just a GDemu flaw but I'm curious as to what's the actual cause. Poorly timed reads?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:42 pm

gdemu is emulation of a gdrom drive so your using emulation it will never be exact on timing because of no seek speed..

Real gdrom has 250ms seek speed .. Gdemu is faster only due to no seek of the laser..