How to patch games without vga support for gdemu

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

lunar6
shadow

How to patch games without vga support for gdemu

Post#1 » Wed May 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to patch gdi images without vga support to work on a HDMI adaptor. The readme says this " However a small percentage of games lack the support the VGA video mode which means that in those cases this
makes no difference and the game's binary has to be directly patched on case by case basis" so what I'm tying to understand is do i just tick that vga box in the gdemu sd card maker or do i need to locate some sort of patch for each game could someone please explain? Sorry if this information is already available but i cant find it anywhere.

fraggle200
chill

Re: How to patch games without vga support for gdemu

Post#2 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 am

my understanding is there's no easy way to get around it. Look for the Japanese_Cake releases to get pre-patched games for VGA that don't have it, or the version of the game that runs in VGA. for example, all versions(JPN,USA,EUR) of JOJOs Bizarre Adventure don't run in VGA but JOJOs Bizarre Adventure For Matching Service does so that's the version to get, even though it's all in Japanese.

Other things just wont' ever be patched as the internal resolution of the game won't match VGA. Bangai-O for example runs at 240p ( i think) and won't ever run in VGA mode as all the sprites are drawn for 240p so to get it working in VGA mode every sprite and background would need resized.

One thing to note is that Dubcitys amazing GDEMU project in the downloads section here only includes things that are VGA compatible. There's a seperate non-VGA section to help make things easier to navigate.

N.B: If you can't see the downloads section then I cant rem if you need 5 posts or 1 verified post before it appears but either way, it's no huge piece of work to get it to appear and then you should have some comfort in knowing what you're getting has been verified to work on VGA, unless it's in the non-VGA post of course.

aldair
Metallic

Re: How to patch games without vga support for gdemu

Post#3 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Monitors with VGA and hdmi have native 240p.