Internet connection issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Claeris
lithium

Internet connection issues

Post#1 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:18 am

In an attempt to get some DLC from good ol' dreampipe, I discovered an interesting problem.

My dreampi seems to be working properly, dreamcast-now sees that I'm online, the games will all connect when dialing, but they don't actually load anything. The pages don't load on the sonics, lobbies don't load in quake or tetris or chuchu, nothin'.

This particular unit's been online loads of times no problem. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Internet connection issues

Post#2 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:04 pm

Claeris wrote:In an attempt to get some DLC from good ol' dreampipe, I discovered an interesting problem.

My dreampi seems to be working properly, dreamcast-now sees that I'm online, the games will all connect when dialing, but they don't actually load anything. The pages don't load on the sonics, lobbies don't load in quake or tetris or chuchu, nothin'.

This particular unit's been online loads of times no problem. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?

So for me I had a similar problem a long while ago where my Dreamcast would connect to stuff just fine but run either super slow or fail to load stuff once online. It turned out to me my internal Dreamcast power supply needed to be recapped. Once I did that I've never had a problem again. Not entirely sure of course if thats the issue here. You may try reflashing dreampi first to at least rule that out. Are you using a dreampi usb powered lvi modem from dreamcast live?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:32 pm

This sounds like an IP address conflict issue. Either the Pi or another device on your network is using the same IP address as the Dreamcast (X.X.X.98), preventing it from getting internet access. You would be able to dial a connection but wouldn't be able to connect to servers or webpages. I would check your router config page and check the list of devices to see if anything is using the .98 IP.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Claeris
lithium

Post#4 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:09 pm

Interesting theory. I HAVE been having issues lately in testing other things, but on this system I'm using a pico psu that's less than a year old. Could have gone bad, but it would be weird. I checked the caps on my OEM psu and it seems fine, but I should prolly recap it someday. I think pcwizard's idea below might be the right answer though, I'll have to check into it when I'm off work.

Xiden wrote:
Claeris wrote:In an attempt to get some DLC from good ol' dreampipe, I discovered an interesting problem.

So for me I had a similar problem a long while ago where my Dreamcast would connect to stuff just fine but run either super slow or fail to load stuff once online. It turned out to me my internal Dreamcast power supply needed to be recapped. Once I did that I've never had a problem again. Not entirely sure of course if thats the issue here. You may try reflashing dreampi first to at least rule that out. Are you using a dreampi usb powered lvi modem from dreamcast live?

Claeris
lithium

Post#5 » Tue May 17, 2022 9:11 pm

Turned out to be the IP conflict! My router saw the Dreampi at .254 but the games dial out using .98 according to Quake, and .98 was being used by my Switch wired. I couldn't find a way to reassign the Switch properly so it's just wireless now. A hard restart didn't change the ip from a wired connection, but switching to wireless made it switch to a free ip. I figure this may be helpful for future peoples in case they run into the same issue.