OEM JP lightgun, madcatz US version, etc? - accessory region compatibility thread

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

OEM JP lightgun, madcatz US version, etc? - accessory region compatibility thread

Post#1 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:18 pm

Sorry if this is an exhausted subject but-

Ive never had the OEM JP one and looks pretty nifty… But im hearing this is software locked out by US HOTD2 and others, only one that works is Virtua Cop 2 and not sure I even have that one haha. I have it on Saturn.

I had the InterAct one back in the day, and think I was too young to assess whether or not it was good. It would be a nostalgia trip picking up another but I kinda want the crème de la crème, and I have a feeling ill be paying a decent amount for this accessory regardless from a preliminary eBay search.

1- is PAL HOTD2 60hz? And is the dc res version patching extra stuff or just the PAL One? I googled and saw that DCRES ‘fixes’ the issue but I have a feeling from reading nfo that its just a 1:1 pal version of the game shrunk to a cd-r with some data fat cut out lol

2- Do the other light gun games have PAL variants also in 60hz also that work with JP OEM accessory? Cause 50hz is whack to me on NTSC.

3- which accessory would you go for?

I am hooking up my DC to my CRT in coming weeks for the first time ever, been using DCHDMI exclusively but definitely want to try this out since I have for the Saturn and its a marvelous experience.. have the OEM one for Saturn, and there is no region lockout for accessory compatibility wooo

megavolt85
Developer

Re: OEM JP lightgun, madcatz US version, etc? - accessory region compatibility thread

Post#2 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:11 am

I made patched GDI versions with disabled region checking, you can download them in the Dubcity collection
P.S. japanese light gun works with VGA monitor unlike some third party light guns

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Re: OEM JP lightgun, madcatz US version, etc? - accessory region compatibility thread

Post#3 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:50 am

Thanks - so all games that had issues no longe are an issue ?

There is no gap in the collection if I were to get the JP lightgun?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:59 pm

there will be no problems, if you find an incompatible game, then let me know, I will disable protection without any problems

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#5 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:56 pm

megavolt85 wrote:there will be no problems, if you find an incompatible game, then let me know, I will disable protection without any problems

Beyond inompatible games' region, a JP light gun is recognised by a US console ? or a US light gun by a JP console?
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:19 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Beyond inompatible games' region, a JP light gun is recognised by a US console ? or a US light gun by a JP console?

NTSC-U games only work with NTSC-U light gun, the region of the console itself does not matter.
in the Dubcity collection you can download GDI images that work with the light gun of any region.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#7 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:50 am

So If one have a US console, a JP light gun trying to play a PAL game, we have normally to look for same region in Light gun and Game?, and now your GDIs works with ¿any lightgun with any NTSC/PAL Game?
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:04 pm

No, PAL and NTSC-J games do not check the light gun region.
Only NTSC-U games check the region of the light gun.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#9 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:03 am

Ok, I purchased this Light gun (apparently US) and will be now testing some games, it shoots quite well, many options like autofire, autoreload, etc

pistola-dreamcast-kc-4801-compatible-light-gun-tv-crt-tubo-nueva.jpg

pistola-dreamcast-kc-4801-compatible-light-gun-tv-crt-tubo-nueva (2).jpg
pistola-dreamcast-kc-4801-compatible-light-gun-tv-crt-tubo-nueva (2).jpg (2.23 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-