Dreamcast scratches discs

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: Dreamcast scratches discs

Post#11 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:50 pm

Zarazek2000 wrote:For some reason it scratches my discs.

Those scratches are across the disc, no way can the drive cause that. If the drive was causing the problem, there'd be circular scratches around the disc.

Zarazek2000 wrote:Can I repair it or if not is there maybe a way to replace it?

TBH, I'd do away with the optical drive all together and install a GD-EMU board and play games off an SD card.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#12 » Mon May 02, 2022 6:02 am

Zarazek2000 wrote:...Alright, so what should I do about this? Can I repair it or if not is there maybe a way to replace it?

maybe the upper case not firmly in the correct position?
is it the original case?

you can also try to remove the upper case, and turn on the console, just to make spin the disk and check if something wrong with the laser unit (i mean the plastic surface, not the lens), but as others already said, the problem should be the case itself

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#13 » Thu May 05, 2022 2:44 am

kremiso wrote:
Zarazek2000 wrote:...Alright, so what should I do about this? Can I repair it or if not is there maybe a way to replace it?

maybe the upper case not firmly in the correct position?
is it the original case?

you can also try to remove the upper case, and turn on the console, just to make spin the disk and check if something wrong with the laser unit (i mean the plastic surface, not the lens), but as others already said, the problem should be the case itself

Yes, it is the original case. Well, I did what you said, I checked if there is something wrong when the disc spins without the upper case and I think everything is alright. I can't hear or see the disc scratching, also disc does not get any new scratches. So, I dunno, maybe there's a problem with the upper case (I mean in this place where you put the disc..)

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#14 » Thu May 05, 2022 3:30 am

Dreamcazman wrote:
Zarazek2000 wrote:For some reason it scratches my discs.

Those scratches are across the disc, no way can the drive cause that. If the drive was causing the problem, there'd be circular scratches around the disc.

Zarazek2000 wrote:Can I repair it or if not is there maybe a way to replace it?

TBH, I'd do away with the optical drive all together and install a GD-EMU board and play games off an SD card.

Well, good to know that it is not the drive problem at least. As for GD-EMU, well it's not for me. I want to play my discs. I know that GD-ROM drive is not eternal, but I prefer to keep my console original.

krovellium
fire

Post#15 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:55 am

If you’ve recently disassembled your DC, make sure the housing is 100 percent screwed down. If it isn’t some parts of the CD may make contact with the case.

Spleet
dark night

Post#16 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:22 pm

You can replace the disc spindle hub with another one. You may get away with a discman spindle hub, or possibly PlayStation, but I'm guessing the tolerance won't allow this or may cause instability. Just buy a junk gdrom drive and use the spindle hub from that. I've done that before after having mine crumble to pieces. It pops off like a Lego piece and sticks right back onto the motor, no problem if you handle it delicately.