Modified VMU Screen - Please check

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

legit
shadow

Modified VMU Screen - Please check

Post#1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:07 am

I recently had this brain fart of using a modified VMU attached to the controllers extension port to run the av signal. I plan to cut all traces from the MCU to the extension socket expect the 5V and ground and solder the RCA to it. I need about 200mA to run speakers and a 1.5 inch screen. Do I have enough juice to run that? Any advice also not relevant to the question is appreciated.

legit
shadow

Re: Modified VMU Screen - Please check

Post#2 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Did a little components test. I'm fine I guess:

Spleet
dark night

Post#3 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:36 pm

legit wrote:Did a little components test. I'm fine I guess:

You are a legit mad man

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:58 pm

I am trill trying to figure out what is going on here. I thought you were talking about doing something like this but now not so sure.

https://hackaday.com/2015/01/20/a-sega- ... in-screen/

Edit: Ok I see now. Instead of having separate cable coming from the console, you want to stealth mod the connections. Excited to see how this all turns out! Should be a lot cleaner than the original mod above! Assuming you planned to mod the screen into the controller that is...

Spleet
dark night

Post#5 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Yeah, it seems like the intention is to run the composite alongside the controller them bundle it together so all the output is coming from the controller(video, audio(headphones or...?)). Honestly, if it's cleanly done it'll be a nifty gimmick, but in practice, a 1.5" display is way too small to be practical. And if it's all still connected to the system anyway... Still a fun looking thing to fiddle with though.

legit
shadow

Post#6 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:26 am

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You got it on point, I'm trying to do kinda like a sleeper vmu which looks legit but if you put it into the controller, magic happens. I'm also considering a headphone jack alongside stereo speakers, maybe inside the controller rather then the vmu, I'm not sure yet.

Of course it's not very practical but who wants a WiiU if you could have the DreamU? :D

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:43 am

Not sure if you guys remember this from back in the day or not, was posted like 11 years ago, but some Japanese dude put an Ipod Nano inside a VMU and made it into a little MP3 player.

Kinda reminds of of that. But what you are doing here is much more impressive. People have put Raspberry Pi Zero's into VMU cases and those looked amazing as well if you haven't seen them? Just something about seeing a color screen either in the Dreamcast controller or on VMU screen is really awesome to me.