NAOMI Rom in GDI

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

NAOMI Rom in GDI

Post#1 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi: ¿How can I convert a NAOMI rom to GDI file ?
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: NAOMI Rom in GDI

Post#2 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:50 pm

You can't.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#3 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:02 am

I suspect you ask this hoping/thinking you can run a NAOMI image on Dreamcast when it's a GDI, but you can't.

Surely it's possible to convert a NAOMI cartridge game into a GDI image, as its also possible to convert a Naomi GD-ROM to cartridge. But there is no (logical) reason for someone to put effort in doing this.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#4 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:16 am

Wombat wrote:I suspect you ask this hoping/thinking you can run a NAOMI image on Dreamcast when it's a GDI, but you can't.

Surely it's possible to convert a NAOMI cartridge game into a GDI image, as its also possible to convert a Naomi GD-ROM to cartridge. But there is no (logical) reason for someone to put effort in doing this.

I dont think its possible. It definitely possible to turn chd images of gdroms to gdi or iso( since people have converted nintendo trifoce to both) but the cart is probably completely different from gdrom+ security dongle that naomi uses.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#5 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:23 am

Since some clever folks have been able to convert Naomi GD-ROM games to cartridges (like with Ikaruga), surely it's also possible to do it the other way around.

From what I gather a Naomi GD-ROM game is basically the same as a cartridge game and its contents get loaded on the dimmboard which from that point basically functions as a flash cartridge. The security dongle has been long defeated, games can be encrypted with different keys or zero key.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:55 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Hi: ¿How can I convert a NAOMI rom to GDI file ?

Pay megavolt85 a lot of money. :lol:
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#7 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:56 am

Wombat wrote:I suspect you ask this hoping/thinking you can run a NAOMI image on Dreamcast when it's a GDI, but you can't.

I have an exclusive NAOMI game which specifications are under Dreamcast capacities (it could run it), uses of RAM etc, so looking for doing some experimental thing
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#8 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:25 pm

When you say exclusive, do you mean you have a not publicly dumped NAOMI cartridge in your possession?

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#9 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:36 pm

He has an exclusive non dreamcast game that want to experiment with, but in this case the hardware specifications aren't the only neccesary to do the task.

Naomi and Dreamcast allocate the memory in different regions and add to the ecuation the unique hardware differences between both machines, as inputs.

You may try first to convert and compare an already available naomi game ported to dreamcast to see what are the differences and how it works in both architectures.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:50 pm

Why don't you tell us what the exclusive naomi game is? :)