Fixed RE:CV to play properly on cloned GDEMU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ateam
Heroine Console

Re: Fixed RE:CV to play properly on cloned GDEMU

Post#21 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Okay, after a bit more digging, this is what I've found...

In YZB's modified version of the disc 1 NTSC-J 1ST_READ.BIN, we see the following function at 0x8C019B88 (original offset is 0x00009B88 adjusted for base address 0x8c010000):

In the original NTSC-J version (GDI name "Biohazard - Code Veronica - Kanzenban v1.003 (2001)(Capcom)(JP)(Disc 1 of 2)[!]"), we instead see this function at 0x8C019B89 (original offset is 0x00009B89 adjusted for base address 0x8c010000):

The modified function is jumping down to address 0x8C211500 (original offset is 0x00201500 adjusted for base address 0x8c010000), and what do we find there? Why, YZB's second modification, of course!

In the original NTSC-J version, we instead see nothing but a bunch of FFs at 0x8C211500 (original offset is 0x00201500 adjusted for base address 0x8c010000), which of course makes it the perfect place to insert extra code:

So, what about the English-patched version of "Kanzenban", aka "Resident Evil: Code Veronica X"? Well, disassembling that version reveals these two changes can be copied without any additional modification -- I THINK!

If anybody can fully test the GDI below and report back, I’m sure many folks who prefer the Kanzenban T-Eng patch who also use clone a GDEMU will thank you!

Anyway, here's the patched disc 1 GDI of "Resident Evil: Code Veronica X" (aka "Biohazard - Code Veronica - Kanzenban") that includes YZB's fix.

Last edited by ateam on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

megavolt85
Developer

Post#22 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:18 pm

unused space in 1ST_READ will always be filled with zeros, if you see FF then this data can be used

megavolt85
Developer

Post#23 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 pm

Gromber wrote:hi! can someone convert the patch for PAL-ES with japanese cake vga patch?

https://mega.nz/file/iYogzbBR#2DT6WX4kN ... J7wwWIx5gw

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#24 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:25 pm

will need to give this a playthrough is there a benefit of Kanzenban code veronica x over the NTSC US version?
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

Gromber
undertow

Post#25 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:41 am

Thanks megavolt85!!!! I will play again the whole game in a future, now im with 360 version, amazing people, thanks also to yzb and japanese-cake.

pitito
dark night

Post#26 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:27 am

Fix for RECV Kazenban translated into Spanish, thanks to YZB

1ST_READ CODE VERONICA KAZENBAN_hack.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 222 times

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#27 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:59 pm

jse wrote:RE_CV000.013.zipHey YZB I tested your patched version using a clone GDEMU on 5.15.0, I can confirm it works perfectly :) Thank you again.
嘿,YZB,我在5.15.0上用克隆的GDEMU测试了你的补丁版本,我可以确认它工作得很完美:) 再次感谢你。

I'm confused. Wasn't this patch supposed to only fix a previously unknown bug on disc 1 where this:

...is supposed to look like this:

...and this:

...is supposed to look like this?

What I'm seeing in your video is the infamous disc 2 item bug, no? I must admit, I'm not a huge RE fan and as such, haven't played through this game in many, many years.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

megavolt85
Developer

Post#28 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:37 pm

ateam wrote:I'm confused. Wasn't this patch supposed to only fix a previously unknown bug on disc 1 where this:

watch carefully the video from jse, he first demonstrates the original TOSEC image in which the error is present, then the image with the patch from yzb and there are no errors
1:23 - TOSEC with error
3:14 - patched without error

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#29 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:09 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
ateam wrote:I'm confused. Wasn't this patch supposed to only fix a previously unknown bug on disc 1 where this:

watch carefully the video from jse, he first demonstrates the original TOSEC image in which the error is present, then the image with the patch from yzb and there are no errors

But all the binary replacements say disc 1. The video is from disc 2. I'm confused, too. Are there issues on both disc 1 and disc 2?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#30 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:09 pm

megavolt85 wrote:

Thank you for your reply :)

I did watch the video, but I see him booting disc 2. However, this new patch from YZB is for disc 1. This is where I'm confused. How does a modification to disc 1 affect the gameplay in disc 2?
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube