Is there a load time comparison between GDEMU, USBGDROM and MODE?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCTurbo
lithium

Is there a load time comparison between GDEMU, USBGDROM and MODE?

Post#1 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:55 pm

Has anyone out there created a comparison of load times between GDEMU, USBGDROM, MODE and a stock GDdrive? (And possibly G-ATA) Would be interesting to see what come out on top for games with lengthy load times, assuming use of a fast SD card, USB 3.0 drive or SSD.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Is there a load time comparison between GDEMU, USBGDROM and MODE?

Post#2 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:47 pm

I haven't seen that but I do know using the Serial SD card with DreamShell and the open beats of rage games the loading times are cut in half VS a CD-R

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:39 am

No, but there is this old video showing the IDE mod vs GDEMU load times. They were both faster than disc obviously, but mostly comparable to each other. Though sometimes the IDE seems like could be faster than the GDEMU for some games.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:42 am

Yes but it's with dreamshell rc3, i want to see with rc4 loader 0.7.x and 0.6.11, with m'y ssd, it's terribly fast.
Now we have the to have many systems, gdemu, mode, usbgdrom, and dreamshell, but i guess no one has all of them.

Maybe if everyone put the time with is set up.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:54 am

Dreamshell with sdd and rc4 is fastest for sure.. Gdemu still emulating 8 file read a head..

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:05 pm

GDEMU has an INI option that lets you increase performance even more, but it doesn't work with all SD cards. All of these devices should have similar performance, as most games are primarily limited by the speed of the GD-ROM drive. When you remove that limitation, games will load faster, but a new bottleneck will usually appear, such as how fast the CPU can decompress the data being read from the virtual disc. As such, speed differences between ODEs will be limited. If you want instant load times, you have to emulate the entire Dreamcast.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

SparkThaMetal
dark night

Post#7 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 am

https://youtu.be/-h0-SjJCBfk GdEmu is faster than MODE, varies how much faster between games, but doa2 gets into the fight waaaay quicker.

However in another video i saw an option on MODE for 'gdr read speed' and they had it set it 'slow'. What does that do, is it like gdemu's ini file read speed option?
Could terraonion make the mode faster with firmware or is it limited by its design?

Right now Bitfunx on AliExpress has the new firmware gdemus for £166! but the MODE is basically the same price for me after conversion -200 Euros (£170). Bitfunx do have the old firmware gdemus for £100 though. The other stores on there all seem bit dodgy, and only bitfunx has the cloned dchdmi mod so they seem like the best quality store on there.

What prices do Bitfunx show for everyone else? Im wondering if AliExpress is pre adding vat etc for me or something? Is there any other decent sellers people can recommend? cheers