dreamcast linux tools (bootdreams)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

jurbas
noob

dreamcast linux tools (bootdreams)

Post#1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Hello everyone, first time posting

I had a broken dreamcast laying around and got a DreamPSU, now it is working just fine and I am looking into homebrews

This is where i hit a wall, I haven't used windows or burned a CD since the win XP days, but almost every single tutorial out there requires windows only tools....

I am currently struggling to create a ScummVM cd-r, is there a open source alternative to Bootdreams?

I have burned some self booting cdi images i found around the web, my problem is creating the cdi image from the scummvm files

thank you!

jurbas
noob

Re: dreamcast linux tools (bootdreams)

Post#2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:19 pm

To elaborate a little on the tools I am using

- burncdi (Script for burning CDI-Files using Linux - By milksheik & me)
- mksdiso (Script to convert a Dir/CDI/ISO to Dreamshell SD-ISO format)

source code can be found here https://github.com/Nold360/mksdiso

i can burn the cdi images with burncdi, i just do not know how to create a cdi from a folder

i can also make a iso with mksdiso, can i turn the generated iso into a cdi and burn it or is it dreamshell specific format/optimization ?

I know i am asking a lot of questions, but this is all new to me, back in the day i used the utopia boot disk

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Re: dreamcast linux tools (bootdreams)

Post#3 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm

There aren't a great deal of tools built for Linux I'm afraid. I use Windows XP in a virtual machine for most things Dreamcast related.