Vampire Chronicles: RGB fix

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

legolas119
fire

Re: Vampire Chronicles: RGB fix

Post#21 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:31 am

ah ok ok, thanks! :)

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 am

Yeh fallback to clean Vampire Chronicles GDI then hex edit its track03.bin

HxD

Ctrl+F to search for string 58a0090031e33da0322d0000f46a318c

Change 58 to 3e

Save, ezpz

legolas119
fire

Post#23 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:30 am

only for test, i tried to search that string into the track03.bin file in the GDI version but that string isn't present..
But it doens't matter, i solved the issue with the .cdi version :) Many thanks

jarnalyrkar
noob

Post#24 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:34 am

Thanks for this thread! I tried so many things, but now I finally got it working with my RGB Scart cable.

legolas119 wrote:only for test, i tried to search that string into the track03.bin file in the GDI version but that string isn't present..
But it doens't matter, i solved the issue with the .cdi version :) Many thanks

In my hex-editor the search defaults to text-string, but you can click a tab to search for hex-values instead. If you do that, you will probably find the correct location :)

aldair
Metallic

Post#25 » Sat May 28, 2022 9:05 pm

jadelocked
lithium

Post#26 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:44 pm

legolas119 wrote:yeah, it works!
Well, i don't know if both patch are necessary as i don't know for example what is LBA patch... in the .txt file there is this text:
11700 to 11702 Patch for Vampire Chronicles, JAP, ECHELON
Do you know what is it? Do you think that it coul be better only to apply the RGB fix? Or both?

I hope that my test can help others guys :)

11700 and 11702 are some of the possible sector labels for discs that appears after burning the first session which is audio tracks and before burning the second session, depending on burning software.
From Echelon selfboot tutorial step 10:
"Read over the CDRECORD burn instructions. Find out the SCSI Bus ID# of
your CD-Recorder If you have not done so already. Run the following
command:

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -msinfo

It will spit out a number in the form x,y. Normal values are 0,11700 or
0,11702 for a CD which only has AUDIO.RAW burned on the 1st session."

But writing discs like this I think may only be compatible with Windows 2000 or earlier. Not sure, I tried and failed, so it must be hard to do if it is possible. There's already a lot of steps so I can't handle much more.

They are changing the session forward maybe for compatibility as well since I have seen this in another Echelon release, where they did not already move the session from 11700 to 11702. this is my story: Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 Save Bug Fix. The readme says that "The files are pre-hacked to sector 11700 so if you use a recording software other than CDRWIN you'll need to hack 1ST_READ.BIN on your own, refer to our Selfboot Kit for help" now I tried to do this but there is an app in the mix of all this patching that is not compatible with Windows any version XP or later (not sure that's just what my version of Windows said when I tried to use the app and I already spent hours trying to read the Selfboot Kit and somehow translate the method which I had zero experience with, like wow this stuff is really old. Would have been much easier to follow back in the day but nowadays it's really esoteric isn't it. Now for a spin, I love going through all the readme files and seeing what these hackers were going through in the turn of the century, a lot of the things they talk about in the readme are pretty savage (also huge shoutout to RDC those readme crack me smile:))).

So what is the point of writing to another sector? from 11700 to 11702? Well if you ever tried Echelon discs they GRIND a TON (need to mention Echelon also has some of the quietest most perfect versions to this day from my own personal testing, I want to talk about that in another post) so maybe writing to a different position means the laser doesn't have to move as much and possibly saves the life of the disc drive and also could make the disc quieter. It would be nice if it did either of these.

I hope these people would love to see someone is reading their readme trying to understand and appreciate their work over 20 years later.

Delon5
shadow

Post#27 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:14 am

mistamontiel wrote:Yeh fallback to clean Vampire Chronicles GDI then hex edit its track03.bin

HxD

Change 58 to 3e

Save, ezpz

Thank you for this, this worked with the redump cue version of the game and I converted it to gdi afterwards.

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#28 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:05 am

Delon5 wrote:
mistamontiel wrote:Yeh fallback to clean Vampire Chronicles GDI then hex edit its track03.bin

HxD

Change 58 to 3e

Save, ezpz

Thank you for this, this worked with the redump cue version of the game and I converted it to gdi afterwards.

Out of curiosity, how did you convert the bin/cue to gdi?

Delon5
shadow

Post#29 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:27 am

fraggle200 wrote:
Delon5 wrote:

HxD

Change 58 to 3e

Save, ezpz

Out of curiosity, how did you convert the bin/cue to gdi?

I used RedumpCUE2GDI

https://github.com/AwfulBear/RedumpCUE2 ... ases/tag/1

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#30 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:41 am

I didn't know this was a thing. thanks for the link.