Anyone have a Dreamcast region free bios to flash?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Coughdrop
noob

Anyone have a Dreamcast region free bios to flash?

Post#1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Hello!
I recently aqquired a Hello kitty Dreamcast which i'd like to use as my main unit,
i'd like to put the motherboard from my previous Dreamcast in it which has a region free BIOS, however it's got the PAL boot animation.

I'd like to re-flash the BIOS with a region free one with the retail orange swirl animation.

I have only come across the Japanese cake one which for a few reasons isn't really ideal for me.

Would anyone happen to have one or know where to get one that meets these requirements?
All i can find are pre flashed chips which i'm not really in need of.

Thanks!

Coughdrop
noob

Re: Anyone have a Dreamcast region free bios to flash?

Post#2 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Would there perhaps be a way to change the color of the swirl without flashing the bios? it seems like my bios might not be flashable since it's apparently a read only chip, even though it is region free.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:13 am

try dragoncity sometimes he has some :
https://dragoncity17.wordpress.com/cate ... dreamcast/

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:18 am

Coughdrop wrote:Would there perhaps be a way to change the color of the swirl without flashing the bios? it seems like my bios might not be flashable since it's apparently a read only chip, even though it is region free.

the color of the spiral is the responsibility of the console region, which is specified in flashrom
change the region to US or JP and the spiral turns orange

Coughdrop
noob

Post#5 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:23 am

megavolt85 wrote:
Coughdrop wrote:Would there perhaps be a way to change the color of the swirl without flashing the bios? it seems like my bios might not be flashable since it's apparently a read only chip, even though it is region free.

the color of the spiral is the responsibility of the console region, which is specified in flashrom
change the region to US or JP and the spiral turns orange

Would i be able to do that whilst still keeping the region free side unchanged? I've since leart you can enable write access on the flashrom by soldering a wire and changing it in region changer in Dreamshell, it seems like exactly what i need i'm just worried that if i change it i'll make the flash mod not work anymore. Thus losing the most important part of this Dreamcast.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:41 am

solder the wire through the button, apply 12V power only at the time of recording