Dreamcast Serial SD Reader Purpose

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Raikusu
rebel

Dreamcast Serial SD Reader Purpose

Post#1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:35 pm

I bought a Dreamcast SD card reader that plugs into the serial port. I also have a Brooke Wingman SD converter. I found out after buying the Wingman converter than you can actually transfer your old vmu saves to the device and then transfer it to a PC.

My question is this. Is there any reason to keep the serial SD card reader if I already have both a GDEMU and a Wingman converter? If not, I'll just return it.

Also was wondering if anyone got their Wingman converter to transfer saves over to a PC. I followed the vmu save tool guide that says to press up on the dpad and press start, but that doesn't do anything. I'm using a wired Xbox one controller (non-bluetooth).

Thank you!!

Cass
MegaDeath

Re: Dreamcast Serial SD Reader Purpose

Post#2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Keep it - data transfer speed is the same as a 4x CD ROM drive. For the £10 it cost you Ian is planning some homebrew that uses both GDEMU and Serial Card together so the Dreamcast will be reading from two sources at once.

https://hackaday.com/2021/06/04/dreamca ... ard-cache/

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14496

I'm an idiot so if I'm giving the impression I understand it you'd be wrong.

I use mine for the Atomiswave games and for music. I have an image of DC playa on my GDEMU and my mp3's are on the SD card.

BTW I love the Brooks Wingman - it's faux dual analogue but I have to say for me it makes a difference to how I enjoy playing some games. MDK2 was already a great game but is absolutely brilliant with a second stick. I've never used the PC transfer function.

Raikusu
rebel

Post#3 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Nice I'm glad to see there is still some use to it! Does it run the Atomiswave games without slowdown?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Raikusu wrote:Nice I'm glad to see there is still some use to it! Does it run the Atomiswave games without slowdown?

Yes faster then a cdr

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:23 pm

Raikusu wrote:Nice I'm glad to see there is still some use to it! Does it run the Atomiswave games without slowdown?

Many uses as you can think of it always was can optimized retail games play them perfect if you put in the effort i will do this for a few AAA games as demo to show people very soon

There $15 why return it lol only write-able write read space with million ways to use it in the future can use it while using all the others

Only slow down in retail games is silly videos which can be fixed downsample like a cdr same with adx games plays the same

It needs hacking each game and effort to do which people lack