Is this a known issue with the Half-Life GDI rom/ISO?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Valkyr1983
shadow

Is this a known issue with the Half-Life GDI rom/ISO?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:20 am

So recently filled my SD card up with all my games (250+) and wanted to also include the few unreleased titles like Half-Life and Propeller Arena

Tried playing Half-Life last night and it loaded fine, can navigate menus and i played through the intro monorail section. Wanted to see how the shooting / combat felt without playing through the entire thing, and when playing i saw this title card break pop up and noticed it showed "Code : Gordon goes to work" or something like that

realized there is an input code section where you choose words to make a code. So found the code for a later level with combat, entered it and it was accepted. then went to where you active and it prompted to choose difficulty level. Chose Normal and then instead of loading i got this crazy error screen with like 14 lines of Error: File not found or something similar, with a bunch of level file names

Is this feature just broken because the game wasnt finished? If so thats fine, i was only goin to use these so i dont have to manually save sine apparently the saves get huge and require a separate VMU

i got the GDI from the thread on this site saying it was pulled from the gold version

thanks!

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Is this a known issue with the Half-Life GDI rom/ISO?

Post#2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 am

I had this only with opposing force when I did something wrong.

I played the main game but I didn't clear it. Not sure if you can finish it.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06 pm

The game is complete for the most part and can be fully finished. Only some further optimizations and polishing of the game was needed to be truly finished. I never had that particular error in the normal game but have in mods ported to the console. The memory card only grows in size as you progress through a level. If you save at the start of a level, it remains small. If you save towards the end of the level, it grows in size. It will never exceed the size of a standard 200 block VMU. But it is recommended that you save with a dedicated VMU if you are serious about wanting to play and beat the game.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#4 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:20 pm

This is the first I've heard of this error. I will try to repeat the error tonight. Did you reset the console and try again?

ShadowGeist
undertow

Post#5 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:36 pm

I had mentioned in a previous thread recently about Half-Life DC displaying onscreen errors and crashing if the VMU didn't contain extra free memory blocks.

Valkyr1983
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:57 pm

I will try again tonight and report back. I will also get a screenshot of the exact error to post. The Half-Life GDI i grabbed to use was from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13313

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#7 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:47 pm

Valkyr1983 wrote:I will try again tonight and report back. I will also get a screenshot of the exact error to post. The Half-Life GDI i grabbed to use was from this thread:

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 22&t=13313

Yup that the one I built from half life gold. If I need to rebuild it I will.

Valkyr1983
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 am

dubcity wrote:
Valkyr1983 wrote:I will try again tonight and report back. I will also get a screenshot of the exact error to post. The Half-Life GDI i grabbed to use was from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13313

Im not sure how to upload an image to a post on here (if thats even possible) but i tested again last night and found the following:

all level select cheats listed at gamefaqs seem to be accepted. If i enter the 3 word string it shows the cheat name at the bottom. then when i back out and choose "select cheat" i see it in the list. I choose activate and then it brings me to a CMD line style screen and displays:

Error loading saved game
]

it looks like its locked up but if i hit the start button it actually brings me back out to the main menu and i can continue, so its not "crashing"

just seems the cheats dont actually work

i will try playing the game through normally and see if the levels all load ok

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#9 » Sun May 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Valkyr1983 wrote:
dubcity wrote:

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 22&t=13313

Im not sure how to upload an image to a post on here (if thats even possible) but i tested again last night and found the following:

all level select cheats listed at gamefaqs seem to be accepted. If i enter the 3 word string it shows the cheat name at the bottom. then when i back out and choose "select cheat" i see it in the list. I choose activate and then it brings me to a CMD line style screen and displays:

Error loading saved game
]

it looks like its locked up but if i hit the start button it actually brings me back out to the main menu and i can continue, so its not "crashing"

just seems the cheats dont actually work

i will try playing the game through normally and see if the levels all load ok

thank you for testing. please check if the cheats work on half-life gdi from hidden palace. if the game plays thru normally without cheats then I will not worry. I don't have the skill to fix broken cheats. if the rebuilt games does not play thru fully then I will rebuild to fix that.

the game is unreleased prototype so you need to see if the cheats aren't working in official dump.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#10 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:36 am

Sorry to jump in on this but if it helps I had a very similar sounding problem on Blue Shift.

Screen full of information about missing assets etc. I was recording it so have video of the problem.

Tried restarting level and having an empty VMU apart from one save but could never get it to work and it always crashed at at the same point.

I can dig out the video upload a screen shot if it might help?

I'd just assumed it was not working due to being a slightly glitchy beta but maybe there is more to it.

I was playing from my GDEMU machine to save my laser and never had a real problem with the main Half Life game which I played all the way through.