Overclocking - 10% and 20% on same console?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

iron_chief
rebel

Overclocking - 10% and 20% on same console?

Post#1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

I was going to buy a few items from Dragoncity and thought maybe I would try their 20% overclock kit.

Question is, I already have a console with the 10% overclock, so could I add the 20% in addition? Would the baseline then be the 10%, and the switch would increase it to 20%?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Overclocking - 10% and 20% on same console?

Post#2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:50 pm

That is pretty much uncharted waters. You would conceivably be the first to attempt this since the 10% overclock mod is so new. I wonder if it would give a 30% overclock lol combining both mods? Because since you already have the base clock changed 10% I think it is gonna combine the 2 clock speeds so you may have the first 30% overclock?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:36 am

iron_chief wrote:Would the baseline then be the 10%, and the switch would increase it to 20%?

yep

Anthony817 wrote:Because since you already have the base clock changed 10% I think it is gonna combine the 2 clock speeds so you may have the first 30% overclock?

no

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:21 am

5 GHZ with water cooling
Italian Stallion

bshi02
dark night

Post#5 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:49 am

I have a question..If I moded my dreamcast to 10% or 20% overclock,then Do I have to replace original fan with Noctua Fan,and replace with thicker thermal pad on the CPU and GPU chipset?

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#6 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:22 am

Sorry for my ignorance. Is it possible to overclock the powervr gpu?

iron_chief
rebel

Post#7 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm

So I think I'll try the 20% OC kit then. I have around a dozen DCs so am willing to risk one.

bshi02 wrote:I have a question..If I moded my dreamcast to 10% or 20% overclock,then Do I have to replace original fan with Noctua Fan,and replace with thicker thermal pad on the CPU and GPU chipset?

I ran the 10% OC for a time, while otherwise completely stock. I saw no difference in heat, at least superficially. But I would say it's unsustainable. I now have the noctura and the only heat seems to come from the PSU. But really the noctura is such a great upgrade I would do it even without OC.

And, not to sound like a shill, but Dragoncity's fan controller seems like a good alternative. Also the only option for a VA0. Shipping to USA kinda kills it though. I can also highly recommend Laser Bear. I usually go for their "blemished" items. Which honestly always looked perfect to me.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm

wish i still had an oc dreamcast.
i had familyguy do the mod for me back in 2009.
that was when we had epic battles with the schthack pso folks.
:)