Where to get new drive connector?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Protofall
undertow

Where to get new drive connector?

Post#1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:51 am

Hey all,

Ages ago I bought a GDEMU clone and it was fine for the most part, but then I saw this tweet: https://twitter.com/WedgeStratos/status ... 9545900033 I decided to check my GDEMU and sure enough, it also has a dodgy connector (Fortunately, my actual Dreamcast console isn't dead). I've decided I don't want to use my GDEMU it until I get this connector fixed, so I plan to get a new connector, hire a professional to de-solder the old one and apply the new one.

So that leads me to my question, where can I get a new one of these connectors? I don't want to cannibalise one from an existing GDROM unit and would prefer to buy just the part, but I have no idea what its even called and if anyone is even selling it.

Dakangel
letterbomb

Re: Where to get new drive connector?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:15 am

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:32 am

and what about the lid switch for gdrom please ?
I'm looking for a new one.

Protofall
undertow

Post#5 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:00 am

Sorry for my delayed response. Thanks @Dakangel , the GDEMU connector is female with 25 pins on each side, your 2nd female link seems to be the right one :)

Protofall
undertow

Post#6 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:10 pm

Actually, that link doesn't seem like the best since you can only order 15 pieces min. I found a better one: https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mol ... sMQhGRnQ==

It does 1 piece min for ~$9 which is okay, but the postage cost to Australia is ridiculous with a final total of $33 AUD.

At this point with the long waiting time + part/postage cost + cost of hiring a professional solderer, it feels like I might as well buy another new GDEMU :/

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#7 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 am

Bad connector, has one side cut and therefore all pins are there, they are misplaced and lead to create short cuts on the boards.

You can see the misplaced pins ,those are the cause of the fried consoles.

Good Conector, every pin has their respective place.

Protofall
undertow

Post#8 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:33 am

Yeah, I haven't checked if my pins are mis-placed, but its definitely cut. I'm making sure to get one with a proper connector this time...