[GDEMU] GDEmu issue - boots in music menu

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

wolfy77VE
shadow

[GDEMU] GDEmu issue - boots in music menu

Post#1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi all,
I have a problem with GDEmu, it worked nicely for the first time but when I removed it and put it back it does a strange behaviour; Dreamcast boots normally but It goes on the music menu showing 0 tracks and 00 minutes and stays there. I can go back to menu but when I change the sd card it hangs on "Disk check" menu. I tried with 4 different cards and sizes, all formatted with fat32 and sd card maker to put games inside.
I tried to remove it and put it back, cleaned the pins, cleaned the whole gdemu but still nothing... any idea of what to do? My edition is the 5.15, hope to get some help I'm going mad!
Thanks to everyone that could help me

Alex_DC
dark night

Re: [GDEMU] GDEmu issue - boots in music menu

Post#2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am

Hi, fixed this yet? I take it this is not an original GDEMU, rather an eBay/Amazon clone, right (not judging!)?
And you've successfully booted into a game from this unit before you removed it, yes?

If you remove the GDEMU, flip it over, look at the GDROM connector. Has it been clipped off at one end? If so, you may have to experiment with connection position. It should be snugged up against whichever end on the connector is still intact. You probably got lucky on the first install. It's unlikely anything will be damaged, just some of the pins aren't making proper contact. Don't try and move it while the console is on though.

I've had exactly this same issue in the past. Tested it, worked fine, installed a 3D printed mount and then odd behaviour. Tried reseating the board and sometimes it would go to audio player, sometimes the console won't boot. Found the 'Goldilocks' position and all good. Then screw it down so you don't have this problem again.

If you don't have any luck, post up a photo of the bottom connector on the bottom of the board. Small chance you could have damaged the connector but unlikely.