How to mod Dreamcast games with CD Audio?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Infomaniac95
undertow

How to mod Dreamcast games with CD Audio?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:18 am

This is a bit of an unusual question, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to modify Dreamcast games that use CD Audio, to instead use different audio tracks.

The game in question that I wish to work with is Worms World Party. I want to replace its music with the music of Worms 2, since that is the Worms OST that I prefer.

To do this, however, I need to know a few things. Such as, is what I want to do even possible, what tools would I need to use, if its possible, and what would the size limit be? (for context, I have a trimmed copy of the game from the Custom GDEMU/DREAMSHELL Collection. I would assume so long as it doesn't pass 1gb in size, I should be fine?)

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Re: How to mod Dreamcast games with CD Audio?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:03 am

For Worms the problem is that it is a WinCE game.
Managing audio tracks is always more complicated.
It seems to me that on Obscure Gamers someone has found a technique to make it easy to get audio tracks to work on WinCE games (a hexadecimal change in the IP.BIN if I remember correctly).

I found the link that talks about it :

https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/wince-cdda-fix.2493/

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:23 am

The default audio tracks work fine (I am using GDEMU, and a copy of the game from Dubcity's collection), however, I was seeking to replace them with custom audio, if that is at all possible.

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#4 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:38 am

It is normal that it works well since we are on an image of the GDRom. It would possibly be necessary to test by replacing the musics of the game directly in the .GDI
Do you have a link to the music of the game Worms 2 (youtube or other) ?

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#5 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:03 am

Here is the original soundtrack release for the game (this release is no longer sold, and contains tracks that are not included with modern releases of the music): https://mega.nz/file/ckIiELSY#__Z99JbD9 ... KbkTojZ2ek

Worms World Party has 14 CD Audio tracks (not including the "This disc is meant only for SEGA Dreamcast" file), and the soundtrack has 14 songs, relating to Worms 2 (those being tracks 1-11, and 16-18). The plan was to leave the title theme and sudden death tracks alone, but replace the rest with tracks from Worms 2.

I made a mod for Worms Armageddon on PC that added in the Worms 2 tracks, that can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f2BPcG ... sp=sharing

Here you can get an idea of what tracks I used in what spots. Since Worms World Party shares some music from Armageddon, you can probably mimick what tracks I used for my Armageddon mod, for the World Party mod. (and incase you need a point of reference, here is the original Worms Armageddon ingame music, so one can compare and contrast what exactly I replaced between this, and the Worms 2 music mod: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_dzYU3 ... hkvjC/view )

I hope anything I said makes a little bit of sense. If not, just tell me what exactly I need to do, in order to mod the music, and ill see what I can do for myself.

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#6 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:28 am

Ok i'm watching all this tonight after work

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#7 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:28 pm

Well I'm sorry but I'm a little lost :)
Here is the music of the game Worms World Party in MP3.
Can you tell me which music you keep and which ones you replace and especially with which music? ;)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7pymolmc07qxaz8/Worms_WP.7z/file

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#8 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:39 am

Sorry for the delay!

Here is a list of tracks to not change:

track04.mp3
track16.mp3
track17.mp3

And then the list of tracks to change, with the tracks from the Worms 2 soundtrack to replace them:

replace track05.mp3 with 04 - Worms of War.flac
replace track06.mp3 with 10 - Gumbo Gringo.flac
replace track07.mp3 with 07 - Pink Bravery.flac
replace track08.mp3 with 08 - The Good, The Bad and The Squidgy.flac
replace track09.mp3 with 03 - Bad Boy Boggy B..flac
replace track10.mp3 with 05 - Swim Like a Brick.flac
replace track11.mp3 with 09 - Attack in Sevens.flac
replace track12.mp3 with 11 - Stats-Screen Music.flac
replace track13.mp3 with 01 - Worm Shack.flac
replace track14.mp3 with 16 - Squish!.flac
replace track15.mp3 with 06 - The Gunner and the Goo.flac

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The length of the music getting replaced is 49 minutes and 31 seconds. The music to be inserted is 45 minutes and 51 seconds in length, which means it should all fit.

I hope what I have said makes some sense, and that this isn't too much trouble. Thank you again for your patience with me, and offering to make this mod a reality!

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#9 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 am

OK I understand better :mrgreen:
I'm doing this to you tonight ;)

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Post#10 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:54 pm

That's it, everything is ready but ... I don't know how to create a .GDI :lol:
Someone have a tutorial on how to create a .GDI ?
Thank you in advance ;)

Edit : I found buildGDI to do it but it doesn't work on my GDEmu :(
On emulator (demul), I get to the Dreamcast logo (with the WinCE image at the bottom right) then it crashes. I tested on my GDEmu and it puts me "unsupported disc"

Edit 2 : It's alright It works.
A video with the edited audio tracks. Does it sound ok ?

Edit 3 : What name do you want to your remix? ;)