A few questions regarding GDEMU clone

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Infomaniac95
undertow

A few questions regarding GDEMU clone

Post#1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 am

Sorry for all of the questions from me as of late, but there are just a few more things id like to know, in regards to the GDEMU, if that is fine.

First thing's first, I should clarify that this is the clone that I bought, and will be arriving soon. I chose this one, since it was on Amazon, knowing that it was more expensive than those on AliExpress, but wanted to have it arrive on a timely manner, of which apparently stuff on AliExpress can takes months to ship: https://www.amazon.com/Zerone-Optical-Simulation-Dreamcast-Console/dp/B07LF54M8Q/

Doing some searching around, it seems that I may possibly have gotten a bad unit? I see some say that the 5.15b units are better than the 5.15 units. What exactly are the differences between the two? Am I an idiot for getting the 5.15 unit? (assuming the picture on amazon is the same as the product that comes to my house, that is)

Secondly, do I need to worry about updating firmware at all? From what I have read, its usually a total crapshoot, and often bricks the units. Will I be missing anything significant, by not upgrading the firmware?

Thirdly, how do multi disc games work on the GDEMU? From what I read, they tend to be iffy on the GDEMU, with games like Skies of Arcadia freezing, when watching the opening demo cutscene, and swapping games like Shenmue just tend to boot you back to the GDMENU. I also read from Xiden that changing settings in the GDEMU.ini settings, such as open_time to 2000 (open_time = 2000), and detect_time to 2000 (detect_time = 2000) can help mitigate these issues, but im not entirely sure.

That's all I have to ask for now. Sorry again for all the questions I have had as of late. I just really want to be sure that I am doing everything all right.

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: A few questions regarding GDEMU clone

Post#2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:23 am

I've got a GDEMU but not tried any multi-disc games yet. That being said, I know games like Shenmue are generally fine - they generate a save state and you just use that when booting the next disc.

D2, I believe, is the only major issue. Yes Skies' initial video doesn't like playing through but the game is playable past that. D2 actually requests disc swaps while the DC is on, and doesn't create a savestate file between disc swaps either. As such this can be a pain in the backside to do - though I believe there are workarounds. I haven't tried any myself yet, though.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:25 am

D2, Alone In The Dark The New Nightmare, Stupid Invaders
this games requery change disk in game
open_time = 2000, detect_time = 2000 most often solve the problem of changing the disk

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 am

That answers my last point, id say. Thank you, Roareye, and megavolt!

Now I just need to know more about my second point (the one about updating firmware), and my first point (concerns over the clone I bought, and it it would be bad, in the long run), and I should be good to go for a while.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

you cannot update the firmware on the clone
new software fixes a bug in several games, for example skies of arcadia
the difference between 5.15 and 5.15b is in the connector and the board design, no critical improvements, this is more a marketing move for better sales

Infomaniac95
undertow

Post#6 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 am

That just about answers everything I need to know. Thank you so very much again for the help!

(Actual last thing, what are all of the games the new software fixes? Curious to know, to keep said bugs in mind, when playing specific games.)

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:37 pm

in last firmware fixed disk swap for D2, freezing intro in skies of arcadia, fixed impassable statue scene in RE Code Veronica