Abnormal behavior when updating GDEMU firmware

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dr3am
shadow

Abnormal behavior when updating GDEMU firmware

Post#1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has ran into the same issue I'm currently facing with my original GDEMU 5.4 on firmware 5.10.

I have carefully read, understood and followed the instructions Deunan posted over https://gdemu.wordpress.com/firmware/updating-gdemu/. I understand that my GDEMU needs to be flashed a new bootloader and that only then I will be able to flash the latest firmware (5.20.3).

After following the instructions to the letter, my GDEMU does nothing when it finds the GDEMU.fw file (that belongs to the updater firmware: https://www.sendspace.com/file/9h9k01). The led doesn't flash multiple times intermittently as suggested and it simply goes to the Dreamcast menu.

It does work otherwise, it reads GD Menu, it boots games and has no other issues a part from the fact that it doesn't recognize the update or any other GDEMU.fw file. The card is "locked" and the file is in the root of the SD.

What can I possibly be doing wrong?

I've tried with the previous updater firmware Deunan posted and then deleted and I have also tried with the new updater firmware that we find in the main site.

I must admit I'm confused with all this firmware posting and removing, perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!

dr3am
shadow

Re: Abnormal behavior when updating GDEMU firmware

Post#2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 am

Problem solved - the SD card extender cable I was using along with the 3D printed tray was preventing the GDEMU from reading the firmware (although the games were loaded successfully). I reached out to Deunan who suggested to remove it and do the update with the card inserted directly into the board.

Just leaving the solution here as it might help someone out there.

ateam
Heroine Console

Re: Abnormal behavior when updating GDEMU firmware

Post#3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks for the info! I'll keep this in mind if/when a new firmware version is released in the future.

EDIT: I'm already on 5.20.3
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam