Dreamcast Now! not showing game status

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ammonius
shadow

Dreamcast Now! not showing game status

Post#1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 am

Edit: Issue resolved in later post on this thread

Original:
Hello everyone, upon first using the Dream Pi and Dreamcast Now everything worked quite well. The issue I am facing now is a mild problem which is Dreamcast Now not showing which game I am playing, but rather showing I am online (Dreamcast main menu photo). Now this is a problem since I can essentially notify people through this service that I am online and wanting to play say, Quake III. Sure there are discords and what not, but I think its a great feature and have noticed that some other people are having a similar issue.

I am wondering if there is a setting I could tweak to fix this?

Thanks.
Last edited by Ammonius on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Re: Dreamcast Now! not showing game status

Post#2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am

Some software doesn't have the right metadata for DCnow to identify what you're doing. DCnow can't necessarily identify that you're using Planetweb or playing IGP. Something like that happens for Monaco/Speed Devils, specifically because the server code is that similar, that it can't differentiate if you're playing one or the other.

There's no real way to fix this except by the developers. If PC, Kazade or Shuouma can figure it out, then eventually that'll be remedied. Otherwise, it's just what it is.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 am

Ammonius wrote:The issue I am facing now is a mild problem which is Dreamcast Now not showing which game I am playing, but rather showing I am online (Dreamcast main menu photo).

I had the same problem when I had DNS entered
after changing both DNS to 0.0.0.0 the problem went away

Ammonius
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:28 am

Right, I'll try that and will get back afterwards.

Ammonius
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:26 am

Ok, so I thought I would spend some time messing around with the Dream Pi to make some fair assessments. It turns out that it still has issues. Sometimes the games show up, other times not. At least now they sometimes show up I suppose.

My current settings: DMZ set in router to Dreamcast IP address, port forward done for Alien Front, Planet ring and Internet game pack. DNS set to Automatic (which is what happens when you punch in 0.0.0.0 in DreamKey 3.0) and also set to 0.0.0.0 on Planet Web 2.0.

It seems to be off and on, sometimes when I play Planet ring, for example, it will show up on dreamcast now, other times not. Regardless of that status I can still connect to the games servers of PSO, AFO, Chu Chu, Planet Ring, Quake and Internet game pack.

Ammonius
shadow

Post#6 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 pm

This issue has been resolved in this post:

Issue:

Thankfully I met NuclearDoom and he noticed something was odd with my Pi upon showing him the HDMI output of it. He recently himself had some issues. However, his issue followed having connection problems rather than DC NOW not showing the correct game. I for a month or so have noticed when connecting Pi to TV, text constantly appearing attempting to connect to SSH severs and adding IP addresses, this as I have discovered is not normal. In addition to this I have also had the PI display 3 dots with a grey screen, which then changed into a similar situation but the I noticed large characters of text appear.

Resolution:

To fix all of this I followed these following steps:
1. Reflash the Pi using Raspberry Pi imager with the most recent version of Dream Pi (currently 1.7)
2. Login in to the Pi and immediately change password using the command (to help protect Pi from future)
3. Type sudo wificonfig, press 3 to configure (if wifi needs configuring, which it does in my case)
4. Disabled manual port forwarding in place of using DMZ by itself.

I have now learnt that the Pi can be vulnerable, therefore I think we ought to pay attention to these things. If you connect your Pi to you TV and don't see the login text and see a bunch of text constantly coming through your Pi, please consider this and reflash your PI.