GDMENU Card Manager

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

sonik
Developer

Re: GDMENU Card Manager

Post#241 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 am

The serial on the info window is extracted from the game file.
It should be the correct one, unless someone edited it somehow.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

bayram
shadow

Post#242 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:38 am

I see. Well I have not tampered with them so they should be fine.

drapos
shadow

Post#243 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:37 am

If you are using compressed .gdi files to add games, the tool will fail to read IP.Bin and it will leave serial field blank.

After writing the image on the sdcard, the tool will be able to read IP.bin info since it writes it uncompressed, but it will not populate serial field even if you try to perform any change and save again.

Yo can press on the info icon, populate it manually and then save.

Spec
lithium

Post#244 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:36 am

sonik wrote:I'm going to set image_tests then.

@Gromber I don't really know what is going on. It's the only DC that I have and the only GDEMU.
From time to time it refuses to load anything from gdemu, does not even boot. Red led lights up on gdemu board.
Already swapped various SD cards. Removed and reinstalled gdemu. Nothing seems to help anymore. :/
Last time I used it was last year when I played Soul Reaver to the end. Game was crashing, a lot.

@redjeff76 Fenrir can browse folders on the card! No need to use any external manager. You can create folders and sub folders on your PC.
What I did was a simple tool to help add the small images (cover art or screenshot) for games.

Sonik, have you tried to remove the GDEMU and look at the pins on the GDEMU and the Dreamcast (See if anything is off or needs cleaning.)
Clean also the pins where the PSU connects with alcohol and a qtip. I hope you didn't add solder to the DC PSU pins.. just clean 'em. Also, as a last thought, try to connect the GD Drive if you still have it and load up a game and play for a bit, see if it doesn't hang or anything like that. If it does, then it can be a few things. (eg. mainboard of dc or controller port board is causing issues.) if it doesn't then it could possibly be the GDemu itself. Hope you get it working properly again. Cheers!

sonik
Developer

Post#245 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:04 am

Spec wrote:Sonik, have you tried to remove the GDEMU and look at the pins on the GDEMU and the Dreamcast (See if anything is off or needs cleaning.)
Clean also the pins where the PSU connects with alcohol and a qtip. I hope you didn't add solder to the DC PSU pins.. just clean 'em. Also, as a last thought, try to connect the GD Drive if you still have it and load up a game and play for a bit, see if it doesn't hang or anything like that. If it does, then it can be a few things. (eg. mainboard of dc or controller port board is causing issues.) if it doesn't then it could possibly be the GDemu itself. Hope you get it working properly again. Cheers!

The original gd drive was already dead when I added gdemu in place.
Last weekend I've got it working by using a very old 8GB SD card! (and also with a 2GB SD card).
No idea why suddenly all my larger sd cards started to cause problems.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

peido
rebel

Post#246 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:20 pm

I also get a lot of problems with SD cards. It's usual for me, after a few hours of playing, to freeze my gdemu and having to reformat the sd cards (although the sd cards are still readable on a PC). I guess it's the crappy brands I use, I don't know why they stop working on the gdemu.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#247 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:11 pm

Pro tip:
Buy SanDisk SD cards directly from Western Digital's website (https://www.westerndigital.com). Not only is this an ODE tried-and-true brand, but buying direct helps avoid counterfeits, which are becoming increasingly prevalant.

EDIT: For clarity, Western Digital owns SanDisk. So, for all intents and purposes, my recommendation is to buy from SanDisk directly (if possible).
Last edited by ateam on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

sonik
Developer

Post#248 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm

So cards from WD are good?
I can't import direcly but I can get it local and check the serial number to see if it's original.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#249 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:26 pm

sonik wrote:So cards from WD are good?
I can't import direcly but I can get it local and check the serial number to see if it's original.

I failed to mention that Western Digital owns SanDisk, so essentially I'm suggesting purchasing directly from SanDisk.

Sorry that wasn't clear :lol:
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Raptorboggle
shadow

Post#250 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:38 pm

My SD card keeps running out of room when setting up my SD card. Do I have to delete the original game files after pasting them into the program, because the program pastes the game files back onto the SD card in their entirety, when I thought it would just modify the headers and file paths to something the GDEMU could easily understand.