GDEMU on V2

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

scavenger
noob

GDEMU on V2

Post#1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:09 am

Hi, noob here. I have a V2 US DC (manufactured Oct 2000), yet it can read and play burnt CDRs. Does this also mean that I can install the GDEMU mod on it, even though it's a V2? How do I verify that the GDEMU will work (or not) on my V2 DC? Thanks!

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: GDEMU on V2

Post#2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:17 pm

No, you cannot install a GDEmu on a revision 2 console. Revision 2 consoles changed how the GD-ROM actually connects to the motherboard and integrated all of the control circuitry of the GD-ROM on the motherboard, rather than on a separate board inside the GD-ROM drive.

Basically, the only way it would work is if what you have isn't actually a revision 2 console, but rather a revision 1 console swapped into a revision 2 case (GDEmu boards shouldn't be used on Revision 0 consoles either, in general).

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:56 pm

first you need to disassemble the console and make sure that you have a VA2.x revision motherboard
if so, installation of GDEMU is only possible by soldering

scavenger
noob

Post#4 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks for the help. I just thought since it can read/play burnt CDRs, that maybe my V2 might work with GDEmu as well. Didn't know they changed the design completely in V2? I'll open up my DC just to confirm.