RetroFighters DC Striker - yes or no?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Re: RetroFighters DC Striker - yes or no?

Post#11 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:57 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
ShreddieMercury wrote:Overall, I'd say this is a fine controller, but far too expensive for what you're getting.

and in this "good" controller all known problems have been fixed?

If you're referring to the second one that I received, yes, the issue with the analog stick isn't present anymore. I have read that some people have issues with the triggers, but I haven't encountered that and they feel solid enough so far. Outside of quality control issues, I think the triggers come down to preference. They don't have a hard stop when fully depressed; it's sort of a spongy feeling when squeezed fully.

Lila Corpsegrave
shadow

Post#12 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:15 pm

I'm definitely on the hard no side. I purchased two of them, and the right trigger fell out of both of them. The analogue stick seems to be improperly calibrated in both. The weight distribution is weird if you put in 2 vmus and it's downright awful if you use a Jump Pack like I do. I used them for a month for the novelty (and because they were $50 a pop) but I swiftly returned to my OEM controllers.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#13 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:56 pm

ShreddieMercury wrote: the issue with the analog stick isn't present anymore. I have read that some people have issues with the triggers, but I haven't encountered that and they feel solid enough so far.

I've had my controller for around 18 months & always thought the stick & triggers felt fine.

Lila Corpsegrave wrote:I'm definitely on the hard no side. I purchased two of them, and the right trigger fell out of both of them. The analogue stick seems to be improperly calibrated in both. The weight distribution is weird if you put in 2 vmus and it's downright awful if you use a Jump Pack like I do. I used them for a month for the novelty (and because they were $50 a pop) but I swiftly returned to my OEM controllers.

Mine has been fine for the most part & hasn't disintegrated. Over the years (plus using more modern controllers), I grew to really dislike the OEM controller so I was desperate for 'better' DC controller. I had a different problem with my Striker when using a jump pack, see more here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15247

I have since been sent a replacement which I have yet to receive, but I have since forgone these altogether & instead use a Brook Wingman SD & an Xbox One controller wirelessly. This adapter has completely changed my game & I can pull off moves & commands I couldn't do with a normal DC controller. A must buy.
Last edited by Dreamcazman on Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lila Corpsegrave
shadow

Post#14 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:47 pm

A brook wingman? I'll have to look jnto it. Problem is, I only have a stean controller atm.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#15 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:31 pm

Lila Corpsegrave wrote:Problem is, I only have a stean controller atm.

It doesn't have to be an Xbox controller, you can also use PS3, PS4, PS5 & Switch Pro controllers, not to mention fight sticks as well.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/62472958/

legit
shadow

Post#16 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:41 am

I don't see the need for it. If you have hands like shaq you're fucked anyway. Got it for my collection tho.

Lila Corpsegrave
shadow

Post#17 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:39 am

Dreamcazman wrote:
Lila Corpsegrave wrote:Problem is, I only have a stean controller atm.

It doesn't have to be an Xbox controller, you can also use PS3, PS4, PS5 & Switch Pro controllers, not to mention fight sticks as well.

https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/62472958/

Seems like an interesting piece of hardware, and I don't have a way go back up save data on my PC yet. If it could support mouse control, it would be perfect, but since it doesn't, I'll probably be waiting for a bit.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#18 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:23 am

Lila Corpsegrave wrote:Seems like an interesting piece of hardware, and I don't have a way go back up save data on my PC yet. If it could support mouse control, it would be perfect, but since it doesn't, I'll probably be waiting for a bit.

You can't have everything, why do you need mouse support, seriously?

If you need to backup your saves, buy a Serial SD card adapter & use Dreamshell.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#19 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:37 am

Dreamcazman wrote:
ShreddieMercury wrote: the issue with the analog stick isn't present anymore. I have read that some people have issues with the triggers, but I haven't encountered that and they feel solid enough so far.

I've had my controller for around 18 months & always thought the stick & triggers felt fine.

Lila Corpsegrave wrote:I'm definitely on the hard no side. I purchased two of them, and the right trigger fell out of both of them. The analogue stick seems to be improperly calibrated in both. The weight distribution is weird if you put in 2 vmus and it's downright awful if you use a Jump Pack like I do. I used them for a month for the novelty (and because they were $50 a pop) but I swiftly returned to my OEM controllers.

Mine has been fine for the most part & hasn't disintegrated. Over the years (plus using more modern controllers), I grew to really dislike the OEM controller so I was desperate for 'better' DC controller. I had a different problem with my Striker when using a jump pack, see more here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15247

I have since been sent a replacement which I have yet to receive, but I have since forgone these altogether & instead use a Brook Wingman SD & an Xbox One controller wirelessly. This adapter has completely changed my game & I can pull off moves & commands I couldn't do with a normal DC controller. A must buy.

Warning: Do NOT upgrade the firmware of your Xbox One controller or you will lose Bluetooth compatibility with the WingmanSD.

Microsoft changed Bluetooth from Classic to BLE in their September 2021 firmware update, to much consternation.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#20 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:15 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Warning: Do NOT upgrade the firmware of your Xbox One controller or you will lose Bluetooth compatibility with the WingmanSD.

Microsoft changed Bluetooth from Classic to BLE in their September 2021 firmware update, to much consternation.

Thanks. Yeah I know about that, I'm using an Xbox One controller which had never been used with an Xbox console. It came with my X1X but I left it in the box.

Even if it was updated, you can revert back to a previous firmware so it's all good.